Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, i buffed/polished my windshield. I used an orbital buffer and Griot's glass polish. Then followed that with Griot's glass clay bar. Then used Stoner's invisible glass. It looked clean but when it rains, after the wipers wipe the water away, the water leaves these odd spots which resemble the windshield fogging up but only in spots (and its not really fogging up at all). Its like the water is smeared and then dissipates slowly. Its really strange. Are there any suggestions to remedy this issue?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
IMHO what you ended up with is an uneven coating on the glass. Some may be totally clean and wax/other prev. treatments remain in spots. Not noticeable except when using the wipers.

I was unhappy with a similar effect from Rain-X in the wiped area long ago, and it took forever for it to wear off (didn't find a solvent that would remove it). Great on other windows, didn't like it where wiped as a fog like film of tiny droplets remained where wiped.

Wax coating from drive through car wash doesn't have the effect for me, you might try a small spot and see if an even coat covers it.

I'll move this to our car care section where cleaning/polishing methods are discussed for attention from others who may have had the same situation.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's interesting to read that you clayed the surface AFTER you polished. Is that the method Griot's suggests? I've known some clay to leave skid marks on painted surfaces, so it's likely that could happen with your glass to. All instances of glass polishing that I've done, the compound/polish is your final step. If you were consistent with the coverage from the polisher your glass should be free from imperfections and bead water uniformly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wash your glass with dawn dish soap to take all the old grease or what ever else might be on the window off. Then apply rain x to the glass let it sit and haze up wipe off residue and you should be good make sure you also clean your wiper blades with glass cleaner and a towel

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
rain X creating a fog haze is mainly not enough elbow grease when applying it.
Redoing the Rain X and rubbing it in hard really removes that problem forever.

Once you got the Rain X 'bonded' to the glass instead of grease on top of the glass the fogging goes away.
I love Rain X. But did have the fogging from Hell when I first used it. I learned it just needs MORE... More effort rubbing it down.. more Rain X applied.
15 years of Rain X use now.. I hardly ever have to run my wipers.. Just flick them on now and then in the rain when a truck or whatever is spraying my car with water up off the road..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's interesting to read that you clayed the surface AFTER you polished. Is that the method Griot's suggests? I've known some clay to leave skid marks on painted surfaces, so it's likely that could happen with your glass to. All instances of glass polishing that I've done, the compound/polish is your final step. If you were consistent with the coverage from the polisher your glass should be free from imperfections and bead water uniformly.
I have no idea if Griot's suggests the method I did (probably not since my dad suggested using clay), but I have since gone back and buffed again but without finishing with the clay bar. The water still has a strange dispersion pattern though.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Elizabeth - Tx for the Rain-X tips.

I've used it on everything BUT car windshields for a long time now (great for faceshields, ski goggles, Cycle windshields BTW).

It was a new product back in the late 70's early 80's when I first tried it & I've been leery to try it on a wiped surface ever since. Works great except where wiped, now I'll have to experiment again sometime.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have no idea if Griot's suggests the method I did (probably not since my dad suggested using clay), but I have since gone back and buffed again but without finishing with the clay bar. The water still has a strange dispersion pattern though.
Interesting. What kind of shape are your wiper blades in?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts