Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have a solution to stop the windows from squeeling and squeeking when putting them up? This is on a 3 door so not sure if the same problem is for the 5 doors too. I've tried everything to get them to stop. The only time they don't make a loud noise is when they are soaked with water.

Thanks.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Is it squeaking where the glass comes up through the trim or from the internals?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
First clean and wax the windows. I use a silicone based spray wax. Then get a can of silicone spray lubricant and spray down the window guides, you can either hope that you can make it run down the entire seal from above or remove the door panel and directly spray the guide seals. This combination works for me YMMV. I use the napa brand but the same as this https://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=BK_80070_0006382710&An=0.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
X2 - I use the pricy stuff so it lasts longer. Castle brand silicone is 99% pure - good enough to use on your body (had Ski Boots with foam rubber liners YEARS ago, and castle was sold at the ski shop to lube 'em so you could get them on...)

"Generic" silicone doesn't last as long, so you have to lube things more often, and end up spending the same $ PLUS more hassle.....

BTW - ALL rubber on the car can use regular treatment with silicone, door seals - window tracks - all the plastic, hoses, wires etc. under the hood m- Helps keep things working and lasting a LOT longer....

WD40 where appropriate, Silicone where useful, and spray PENETRATING grease where needed...

Regular maint. helps avoid hassles.....

Luck! (grin)

·
Registered
64 Posts
mine started doing that after i put new door speakers in, i just took the panel back off and moved so stuff around, work fine now

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
X2 - I use the pricy stuff so it lasts longer. Castle brand silicone is 99% pure - good enough to use on your body (had Ski Boots with foam rubber liners YEARS ago, and castle was sold at the ski shop to lube 'em so you could get them on...)

"Generic" silicone doesn't last as long, so you have to lube things more often, and end up spending the same $ PLUS more hassle.....
I am going to have to ask the parts guy to switch from the cheap napa stuff to the castle, we already use the castle shop solvent which is great.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
NAPA chemicals on the whole aren't bad, No knowledge of who they actually get them from (probably varies by item) so they aren't giving you junk to work with (grin) - I just LOVE the Castle stuff 'cause it's the only one I've seen that advertises it's actual content....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Had that problem a while ago, lubed the rollers , then cleaned the glass with alcohol= squeak gone for a year so far, (had to remove the door panel to do this properly).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts