Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done dark window tinting on their MK3 and if so what is your opinion about it. I just did all around cs20 3M which is one shade above limo dark and it takes a little getting used to. Since the Windshield has no tint it's kind of like driving in a tunnel with all the light coming from in front. I'm hoping night driving is not going to be an issue but I haven't done that yet. About 98% of my driving is daytime and since I live in the High Desert the sun can be brutal.
It does look really cool though. Also looks darker from outside than from the inside. Would like to hear from anyone who's done it and how they feel about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CS20 is the 3M designation; it's what 3M calls that shade; don't know about %, that being said I don't think it's legal in California but that goes for a lot of people with tinted windows here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those of you considering this, check with your local/state law enforcement. Some states prohibit dark tints on the front windows and you will get a ticket. But, if you go ahead and tint those front windows, be very careful when you get stopped. If the officer cannot see you and your passengers when they walk up to the car during a traffic stop, they will probably have their gun drawn. Sounds a bit extreme, but that what the state patrol in MN has told us.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
If pulled over have your driver's side windows down and your tint might not even be noticed as I've never had an issue over tint since I started driving.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have 35% on all my windows because that is the legal limit here in Illinois. It isn't as dark as I would like it to be, but I like the look, the added privacy, and it keeps the car cooler when it is hot out. Most people, in my opinion, do it for looks. I love my tint though

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had 20% put on all around
The first couple nights was scary but after it cured/dried it doesn't seem to bad at night

A guy had done my last car off the books and he installed 5% all the way around
It was nearly impossible to safely turn at night without putting the windows down
I had the front windows stripped and redone on that car

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used Suntek Carbon for my windows on my 14 SE, went with 25 percent, not to dark and not to light.... 5 percent on the sunroof and 5 percent strip across the top of the windshield....
I don't have issues at all, even at night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got 35% done on my 4 windows + rear screen as that is the legal limit in VA.

It's still drying, since I got it done today.

I wish I got something darker, as it doesn't seem dark enough.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I ran 5% all around on my S10 for a decade. Loved it. Have 20% all around on my MK3. Love it. Went lighter since the wife drive this one from time to time. Her A4 has 35% on the front 2, and 20% over the rest. It's a little light for my taste but she likes it. It should have come from the factory on that car. The A/C couldn't keep up until we tinted the windows.

I'll post a photo of both when I get back to a pc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Suntek 18% is just right. I have no issues with night-time driving. One note....if you have a black interior, the outside view of your car will make the time appear MUCH MUCH darker (than if you had a lighter tan/stone interior).

Most tint shops will warranty you when you go lower than legal, but they don't want to give you a receipt (makes sense). The dealer tinted mine and he didn't have an issue with 18%, but there's no where on my paperwork that I had window tint (but he told me in an email he'd warranty it).

·
Registered
710 Posts
that looks like it is 35% light transmission , probably the maximum legal for your area
see how you can see into the car compared to other pictures posted

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
That looks like 20% to me. I have 35% and mine is much lighter than that.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I have 35% on the front windows, 5% on the rears and 45% on the windscreen. That's as dark as I'll go, and I'd prefer 20% on the rears I think. Anything darker is unsafe IMO.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
When I was younger I used to run 5% all around. After enough fix-it tickets, I just started doing legal limit. NC is 35% all around, AS1 of any level (5%), and no rule for sunroof/moonroof's (5%).

Its nice not having to roll my windows down at night to reverse the car (back-up camera makes that a relative moot point though).

·
Registered
182 Posts
I forget the percentage I got, but it is pretty dark. The back and rear windows are close to limo tint while the front driver and passenger sides are lighter.

If I were to do it again, I would have gone lighter on the back and rear windows. It is a bit hard to exactly see what is behind you at night. Can't tell just from headlights. Also when backing into a spot at night is sometimes hard, I need to roll the windows down if it is a tight squeeze. I'm glad I have the rear parking sensor.

On the plus side, it is very hard to see what is inside the car. A big plus when I have musical equipment loaded in the car. And it does cut down quite a bit of the heat, which is paramount here in Florida.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That looks good Bass! I lived in Fort Myers for a while back in 2011, so I know well how important it is down there. You can get away with any % without being hassled by the police.

I've been running 15% for nearly 4 years, and have yet to be stopped or questioned on it. However, I live in pretty rural MD, so they don't care it seems.

And not to burst anyone's bubble, but if you got the "legal maximum" and they test your window darkness, you will fail and be ticketed. Bare windows inherently reduce light transmission (although small, I think 75%?) and when compounded with your added tinting it will lower the overall light reduction enough to fail. I think it equates to an additional 5-7%

1 - 20 of 35 Posts