Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about having my side windows and back window tinted for the purpose of keeping heat and prying eyes out. What are some disadvantages of tinting? will my rear defroster hurt the tinting or the tinting hurt the defroster? I hope this is the right forum,couldn't find one really addressing this topic. thanks for any input!!

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
What are some disadvantages of tinting?
State laws...getting pulled over for it and having to take it off.

will my rear defroster hurt the tinting or the tinting hurt the defroster?
Just make sure you get a professional to do it at a tint shop and it won't hurt it.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Can reduce visibility at night. Especially when reversing in dark parking lots. If you have the camera then that's not an issue. Tinting my windows is the first thing I do with every car. Gets very, very hot here in the summer.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I considered the night vision issue also,but I wouldn't be going as dark as legally possible,just something to knock down the heat some.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
The night vision isn't an issue unless you're old and/or have bad vision, or you go darker than 20%.

·
Registered
495 Posts
IL law is 35% all around...IMO 35% wasnt dark enough so I went 20 and am glad i did....im sure 35% would def help keep you cool

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
If you're getting it done by a pro, and you should, then make sure you apy the little extra to get a tint with a warranty. Nothing is worse than your tint going purple after two years.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
^tint goes purple because the owner uses ammonia based cleaners like Windex. If you want to avoid purple tint use Stoners Invisible Glass.

·
Registered
495 Posts
^^VERY MUCH THIS....and Stoners is a great cleaner! make sure its high quality tint like Llumar

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tint

Try to get the best quality tint possible installed by an experienced installer. You don't want some one that is just learning doing your car. Be picky, don't allow them to get away with damage to your interior or your weather stripping. I have seen a lot of tint jobs that were badly done with choppy film cuts and lots of bubbles. Although getting a good warranty is a good idea, these days saying you have a lifetime warranty on any product doesn't mean as much. Business's go out of business every day and that warranty that you hold is not worth the paper it's written on. It's your money get the most for it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Can reduce visibility at night. Especially when reversing in dark parking lots. If you have the camera then that's not an issue. Tinting my windows is the first thing I do with every car. Gets very, very hot here in the summer.
THIS ... altho I have 20% on my Mustangs and it hasn't bothered me much. When I get this done I will get 20% all the way around and call it a day.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok,stupid question time. What do the percentage points mean? Is it the percentage of light that can get through,so a 20% tint would be darker then say what is legal in my state,35%? thanks for all the thoughts,hopefully I can get an appt today and get it done,I have found there aren't many places in my town that do tinting,so my choices are limited.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Ya it's the percentage of light that is let through the tint. I had 35% is my old s40 and I wouldn't want it any darker. It was getting hard to see at night.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well,no appts open today,soon as i can get it in is thursday,but it was the only place I could find that had a lifetime warranty. does $250 sound in the right price range? Like I said,not many choices to choose from around here,just wondering if I am getting taken for a ride or not.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts