Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you guys do your window tint yourselves or get it done professionally? Also what's the %? Also let's try and keep legality out of this. Thinking about doing 20% black, 35% and I hardly noticed a difference maybe is was the brand cheap auto part store stuff

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Dont buy the cheap stuff. It will peel and fade to purple quickly. Not worth the hassle.

Go to a profesional, pay $160 dollars and do 30 in the front, 20 in the back, and 5 across the top of the windshield. Comes with lifetime warranty as long as you own the car. Way worth it.

If you think you can do it yourself then more power to you, to me its easier to pay someone for something like that, that everyone can see everyday. Wont have to worry about scratches or bubbles either.

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
Quality tint and find one that comes with a lifetime warranty. I suggest getting a professional to do it and then not having to worry about it again. I did 50% on the fronts and 15% on the rear. Ohio allows max of 50 on the fronts and as dark as you like for the years, Ive been happy with the combination. I'm not a fan of the front windshield strip, just looks out of place having a dark stripe there.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My wagon is 20% all the way around with 5% brow. Dunno where freefocus gets his stuff done but all the "real" shops wanted to charge me close to $300 for the job. Friend of a friend does tint though and I got a back room deal for $150.

Best bet is to look up local laws for front doors and brows and keep it legal. Fwiw I could barely tell I had 35% on my fronts when I first got done, took it back and re-did the fronts in 20% and couldn't be happier. But I'm sure I'll get a ticket at some point....

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I've got 15% all the way around here across the sound from you.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I did the legal tint on the sides & limo black on the rear window & front brow across the top & down about 11'' straight across the bottom vs curved w/ the windshield. about $190. at Jims detail.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I paid (too much) about 300 but got some great tint (Wincos) and a lifetime warranty at a tint shop. Included the windshield brow on top.

Not as dark as many others, but love it. Strange/sucks not having tint if you live in a place anything like Arizona.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've done window tinting myself in the past. It's a PITA. Well worth the 200 or so bucks to pay a shop to do it with a warrenty. My car is 35 front and 20 rear. (previous owner had it done) I kinda like it but there are days where I wish the fronts were 20.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I've done window tinting myself in the past. It's a PITA. Well worth the 200 or so bucks to pay a shop to do it with a warrenty. My car is 35 front and 20 rear. (previous owner had it done) I kinda like it but there are days where I wish the fronts were 20.
Depending on where you live & what you can get away w/.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Just pay someone to do it. My mk1 had 20% all around except the whole windshield was 30%. It was great for me but it depends what you like. I won't be going that dark on the windshield again though...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Just pay someone to do it. My mk1 had 20% all around except the whole windshield was 30%. It was great for me but it depends what you like. I won't be going that dark on the windshield again though...
Why not? No enough lite where your at?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Why not? No enough lite where your at?
No, I could see fine through it. Just people were always noticing and asking about it. How dark it was, who did it for me, why would I do that, etc. Its a wonder I never got a ticket in 2 years driving with it. Lol

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
I'll agree with everyone else, pay a professional to do it. And personally do the entire car in the same % mixing front and back looks weird to me.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Dunno where freefocus gets his stuff done but all the "real" shops wanted to charge me close to $300 for the job.

Different areas of the country have different prices, but you know that. It's just a local guy been doing it for 10 years or so, just enough to make some extra cash. I looked, my reciept said 175. Llumar tint. Lifetime warranty.

Just wish I would have gone darker, next time...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I'll agree with everyone else, pay a professional to do it. And personally do the entire car in the same % mixing front and back looks weird to me.
Yea, I can't stand front and back being different. And I don't like the windshield strip. All or nothing there for me.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Yea, I can't stand front and back being different. And I don't like the windshield strip. All or nothing there for me.
The tinted shaded windshield isn't dark enough for me, hence a tint band at the top. As far as the side windows, I don't like the 2 different shades of tint= doesn't go together well. I did go w/ limo tint for the rear window.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
I paid a professional and he did legal on my ZX5 SVT and it was 190 bucks.

He wants 210 to do my ST.

I agree. Mixing tint looks wierd to me too.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Luckily my dealer will do however I want for 149 since I bought it there. I've watched people try it themselves and get so frustrated and it never looks good lol. I got llumar (I think) on the last one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just put 20% on my two front windows, call the cops I don't care. But yeah I bought 35% and there was hardly a difference so I said eff that! next is 2.5% for the rear window then o% matte black gonna rattle can the windshield cause I'm a vampire and mortal vision is for chumps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts