Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the windows done on my 2012 FoFo tomorrow. Thinking of getting 3M Color Stable, or maybe splurging on the Crystalline.

Two main goals: 1) improve the car's appearance (I don't like the silver but wasn't willing to wait 8 weeks for a custom order) and 2) protect the leather upholstery.

I've never had auto windows tinted before. Any recommendations? Horror stories?

Thanks in advance. [cool]

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Some small bubbles are normal initially.
DON'T roll the windows down for like several weeks.
Park in the sun whenever you can while the tint is drying, it will help remove bubbles.
Don't be afraid to go back and ask them to redo a window if something's wrong. Most shops will do this as a courtesy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
1 Make sure you get it done at a professional place so you get a good job.

2. Make sure you don't get it any darker than MD law allows. And keep the paper work from the instraller that shows it is legal. Thatt will save you the expense of having it removed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Some small bubbles are normal initially.
DON'T roll the windows down for like several weeks.
Park in the sun whenever you can while the tint is drying, it will help remove bubbles.
Don't be afraid to go back and ask them to redo a window if something's wrong. Most shops will do this as a courtesy.
...kinda overkill....had mine professionally done and dude said about 5 days....i waited a week and no problems.....oh and DO NOT USE WINDOW CLEANER ON THE TINT THAT HAS AMMONIA IN IT (IE: WINDEX)...dont think you want purple bubbley tint

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
My place said like a week, but I rolled the drivers one down after a week and it started to mess it up but I caught it in time.

I suppose it would depend on the type of climate, season, humidity, etc.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile What they said! Dont go too dark, or else your catch the attention of the popo and by by tints.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, great advice. I'll post pics after it's done.

Something about the 35% rule that I've read conflicting information about: somewhere a guy posted a warning that the 35% minimum includes whatever tinting the original window might have had from the factory. So if I add 35% film I'm automatically illegal. That is to say, if the stock window transmits 90% and I add 35% film, then I'm left with 35% of 90% which (counting on fingers and toes) is 31.5%. So according to this guy I can't just purchase 35% film and plan on being okay.

Does this make sense or was this guy full of S maybe?

·
Sonic's MK3 Crew #14
2,026 Posts
I say black it out front to back! 5% all the way except the windshield... The darker the better for me

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
PUT TAPE OVER YOUR POWER WINDOW SWITCHES!!! I forgot about the tint like an hour after I left the tint shop. Luckily no harm no foul

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i had 15% all the way around and the po didn't like it on the front drivers and pass windows, i was ether get it removed or pay the fine of $110 a window, so $220 total, lucky i had a appointment to get lighter on the front, kinda hard to see at night trying to park lol

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
5% all around, and 50% on the front (yes that front!)
Some states will have a +/- of #% to account for factory tint, IE in Nevada 35% with a +/- of 7%, so the legal limit is really 28%!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maryland doesn't have that +/- written into the code, just 35% period. So I think I'm going with the 3M Color Stable CS35, which according to 3M's specs rates at 39% VLT (visible light transmitted). I figure the other 4% will be my stock windows so I should be okay.

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
I've no clue about the different name brands and what not. Never thought about it. Sounds like you're planning to do it yourself??

Just know your state's laws (which you obviously do) and that if you go darker, you very well may get busted at some point. I had a friend in Cali who got a fix-it ticket for his tint, which wasn't horribly dark, and he'd bought the car from someone already with tint so never thought much of it. Some places are pickier than others. I went a touch darker than legal in Alabama, but not too serious (can't recall if my backs are 20 or 30%), with the fronts only being 35% (legal). No matter what the laws, it usually helps (simply by LOOKING more legal) if the fronts are lighter than the backs.

And yeah, if you're having a professional place do it, don't hesitate to go back if there seem to be too many bubbles or larger bubbles. Small ones will be there but they should pretty well dissipate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i bought my focus with tint. 7 months later got pulled over by a butthole cop in a no-name town known for butthole cops. needless to say i got a ticket and had to take my tint off. a little bit of my heart died when i had to pull it off, it was one of the best tint jobs i have ever seen. one day i'm gonna get it redone.
so, basically, find out where the idiot cops are and avoid them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts