Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Titanium hatch on order and estimated to arrive early November.
Got to print our window sticker yesterday, and notice the mpg figures are listed as 27/37, while the Ford.com site quotes 28/38 for the 2012 automatic. Not a deal breaker, but why different. Are they changing the sticker mpg figures for the winter gas formulation? Does big brother at Ford know something about the way I drive? If I lose weight before delivery will the sticker change to 28/38? Is this a case of "promise less and deliver more" from Ford? Am I trying to uncover a conspiracy theory?
But on a serious note, we are really looking forward to arrival.
Had not even been considering the Focus, but test driving the Titanium changed that. Bought first car in 1979, and this will be the first Ford. Hope it does not disappoint!
Thanks to all here for the informative posts, both positive and negative.
Looking forward to reporting more after arrival.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Got to print our window sticker yesterday, and notice the mpg figures are listed as 27/37, while the Ford.com site quotes 28/38 for the 2012 automatic. Not a deal breaker, but why different.
Focus automatics are rated 27/37 with SelectShift, and 28/38 without SelectShift (unless it’s an SE with SFE option, which is up to 28/40).

The S (sedan-only) trim does not get SelectShift.
The SE only has SelectShift if you opt for the SE Sport Package.
The SEL and Titanium both get SelectShift.

EDIT: I'm not sure if there's any significant difference in shifting patterns or weight between the two. I read somewhere that the EPA rates cars differently if the driver has the ability to manually shift (who knows if it's true...)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tks for the info.
The figures match for our order (with Selectshift).
Guess I should have looked a little harder for the answer.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Also, if your Ti has the handling package, you can expect lower mileage as well. Sporty/grippy/bigger tires will affect mileage and turning radius as well while I'm at it, just to keep in mind.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Also, if your Ti has the handling package, you can expect lower mileage as well. Sporty/grippy/bigger tires will affect mileage and turning radius as well while I'm at it, just to keep in mind.
While it is true as a general rule that wide tires lower fuel efficiency (contact area, wind resistance, etc), the Titaniums on fuelly seem to be doing just fine. The large rims will definitely ruin city mileage (increased moment of inertia takes more energy to get the tires rolling), the tires that come with the handling package are GreenX (LRR) rated. This is probably because Ford recommends they be filled to 39psi (according to the tire, they can be filled to 50psi).

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
While it is true as a general rule that wide tires lower fuel efficiency (contact area, wind resistance, etc), the Titaniums on fuelly seem to be doing just fine. The large rims will definitely ruin city mileage (increased moment of inertia takes more energy to get the tires rolling), the tires that come with the handling package are GreenX (LRR) rated. This is probably because Ford recommends they be filled to 39psi (according to the tire, they can be filled to 50psi).
I'm still averaging over 28 mpg with my "city" driving... so I'm happy with that [histerical] ..and my first small freeway miles I was avg 40 mpg

my window sticker 27/37

1 - 7 of 7 Posts