Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else finds the reflection of the air vents on the dash, reflected in the exterior mirrors, distracting.

This is what I see when I look in the mirrors. . . .

The car is going in for tint next week and I am thinking of seeing if they can put film on the silver surface of the vent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another suggestion...Get a light "tint" material put on your sideview mirrors. It should eliminate that problem???

·
Registered
788 Posts
That must only be a problem on the 2012 Titanium. I don't notice any reflection in the mirrors on my 2012 SEL.

·
Registered
57 Posts
VLR (visible light reflectance) on standard auto glass is around 11-12%. Most non-metallized window films will reduce the VLR to around 5-7%.

Window film helps, but it will still be there.. mine is like that too

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about having the silver portion of the vent painted flat black. I'm going to experiment with some pinstripe tape to see what sorts of things work. I expect the window tint to diminish the effect some. . . .we'll see.

It's more of a distraction than anything. . . .

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, it is only a problem if you look for it...
Chris

·
Registered
163 Posts
My windows are tinted and I notice the same reflection every time I look at them.....kinda annoying. Maybe I'll look at getting a light tint on them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I found it extremely aggravating and the tinting of the window did not help at all. I finally removed the left vent and sprayed it flat black which remedied the situation. The vent unclips and pulls backwards to remove it from the dash, do not pull it straight up. I used the rubber spray paint which will just peel off if you want to restore it back to original. I have to admit flat black 1/4" pin striping would have worked faster.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>>>it is only a problem if you look for it...

True . . in a way.

But I spent many years doing production test riding of high performance sport bikes and one of the reasons folks were willing to pay me extra was because I was very finicky.

I think they described it . . . from time to time . . as being a "pain in the ass" . .

:)

Don't miss the current project . . . . If I let something like this distracting reflection get by on a bike . . . I'd be looking for a "real" job.

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've noticed the same on the windscreen when it's sunny. A tint won't work as it's the windows it's reflecting off.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, as I said, if you look you will see it, nothing at all to do with motorcycles. Some will find the reflections in steeply raked windscreens an annoyance as well. But that's all they are, unfortunately it is a fact of design thse days and something the majority of cars will exhibit if you look hard enough.
Chris

Sorry Liam, you posted just before me....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
>>>A tint won't work as it's the windows it's reflecting off.

Agreed. I know I can't make it go away . . but I'm going to see if "darkening" the area does anything to it.

Note that the black vent doesn't (at least as visibly) reflect . . . it's the shininess (brightness) of the chrome.

We have this argument in the Porsche forum all the time. The Sand Beige interior throws a really objectionable cast on the windshield, while the blacks and grays are far less noticeable.

It doesn't bother me that much . . . it just seems a bit of a challenge to see if I can address it. It's the type of thing, if it occurred during the engineering and validation phase of vehicle development, I'd change prior to production.

But . . . even after just a week . . I'm thinking Ford has a home run on their hands with this Focus.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts