Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My drivers side front window on my 2012 started to not work on cold days. After it warmed up, there was no problem. Yesterday it stopped working all together. With the key on and the motor off, I can hit the window button and the light will barely flicker. So the button must be working. How do I find out if it's the motor or regulator?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF

Made this it's own thread, as it doesn't relate to regulator replacement methods for an earlier model.

Let's see what the MkIII section has to say...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Are you sure the window isn't just frozen shut? Not sure how cold it gets in Virginia but some winter days I gotta drive a bit before I can open any windows on both my Focus and Grand Caravan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar problem with the passenger side window. Sometimes if I fully opened it, it wouldn't close again. Also, it was making an "effort" noise, like if the motor was making a lot of force. It was under warranty, so I took the car to the dealer and they ended up changing the motor. Now it works like a charm.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It may be frozen, or it may be the felt around the window is 'dirty' and has pine resin or other tree resin on the felt the glass slides on..

Just a one hour parking under a pine tree caused one of my windows to seem like it was broken...
My solution was to lubricate the felt at the window bottom and up both sides with a silicone fluid. And clean off the face of the felt at the window bottom (with the window down). It was amazing how much better it worked afterwards.

I also use Rain X on the side windows..

·
Registered
180 Posts
My 2012 driver window had this issue as well. The only other telltale symptom mine had was the window, when it did work, was moving slower than the passenger side or the rears. On cold days it would not work at all but it did on warm days. Turned out to be the window motor. It was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think its something frozen up. Although it would only not work on cold frosty mornings, and work after warming up. The day it stopped all together the temperature was in the 50's. And it's been really cold ever since. Too cold to go out and pull the door panel. I'd like to know which color wires work the drivers side switch. I guess once I can pull the panel off I'll see. As far as being dirty, it's pretty clean. Where I park is nowhere close to trees. It never went slower than the other three windows. When it worked it was perfect. I'm thinking it's the motor or window regulator.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I don't think its something frozen up. Although it would only not work on cold frosty mornings, and work after warming up. The day it stopped all together the temperature was in the 50's. And it's been really cold ever since. Too cold to go out and pull the door panel. I'd like to know which color wires work the drivers side switch. I guess once I can pull the panel off I'll see. As far as being dirty, it's pretty clean. Where I park is nowhere close to trees. It never went slower than the other three windows. When it worked it was perfect. I'm thinking it's the motor or window regulator.
I had the window regulator replaced under warranty not too long ago.

Was working only after few minutes but it was the summer tho.

Didn't test in the winter, I always leave the windows up during cold days...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My drivers side front window on my 2012 started to not work on cold days. After it warmed up, there was no problem. Yesterday it stopped working all together. With the key on and the motor off, I can hit the window button and the light will barely flicker. So the button must be working. How do I find out if it's the motor or regulator?
Hi Jcarroll,

Have you been to your dealer to have this looked at? I saw you mention in another post potentially taking care of it yourself. Please let me know how your windows are doing, along with your mileage. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My car is far over the warenty coverage as I drive 40-45,000 miles a year. It's a 2012 but it has 104,000 miles. This isn't the first issue I've had with this car. I've had tranission slipping. I've had the shudder, roll back at stop lights, body panel leaks that filled my trunk with water, window that has stopped, and today my stereo looks like its on and working fine, but I have no sound. Im at the end of my rope and feel like this car is a lemon. I dont know what to do with it at this point. And I feel like being a 2012 car I shouldn't have to. Also the shudder and roll back at stop lights has started again. I took it to my dealer and they say it's fine. Not sure how it could be fine when it shudders as it shifts and occasionally rolls back. To give them some benefit, it doesn't do it all the time. Any help would be great. Oh, and the drivers side seat belt is starting to not retract once I take it off. At this point, it's almost funny....almost...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts