Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 LX Focus
Schedule shows replacement at 120K miles. Do you think it is too long?
Who had broken belt and what was mileage then?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
SPI motor or Zetec? You can tell if you pop the hood if you don't know already:

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=77

Sounds like an SPI though if you have an LX.

I don't know much about the SPI, sorry. If you have the Zetec, around 100k is a good time to change. You shouldn't bend valves since it is an non-interference motor, but it seems for some odd reason a few people have bent valves. It's better to change it before it breaks than waiting so you don't have to find out.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
. You shouldn't bend valves since it is an non-interference motor, but it seems for some odd reason a few people have bent valves.
SVT's will bend valves, modified Zetecs with bigger cams or high compression pistons will bend valves. Stock Zetecs should not, however an unscrupulous mechanic will tell you the valves are bent without taking the head off as soon as he sees the timing belt is broken. I have taken a good number of vehicles that were abandoned due to broken timing belts, repaired, and resold without issues. There are not that many interference engines out there with timing belts.

I do not think the SPI is an interference engine either.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
the standard zetec (non svt) and the spi are not interference motors so they will not bend valves, however the svt will since it is an inteference motor

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
OH, change interval: Around 100k.

You should inspect the belt visually. Remove the timing belt cover. Use the key to bump the engine, use a marker to mark the center of all the belt you can see. Look for missing, broken, or cracked ribs on the bottom of the belt. Look for fiber protruding from worn rubber on the top of the belt, and any cracks.

The tensioner is replaced when the timing belt is replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys for your responces.
Sorry I didn't specify. I have 03 SOHC engine.
Please confirm it is not interference engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts