Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the other day and my exhaust decided to unattach itself, so i am running header to cat and cat to nothing thats where it all broke off. Is this going to effect my car until i can get a new cat-back on the 22nd?

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
It won't hurt your car, but it will hurt your wallet when you get pulled over. Don't drive it till you fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol i'll take my chances since its the only car i have. I would expect a fix it ticket not a true "your screwed pay up" ticket.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Hope so, good luck.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ehh.. you'll be fine.. with all the other cars on the road out there being WAY louder than yous... just don't get on it real hard.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Burned exhaust valves are not out of the question if you drive it too long like that.
I'd stick to the minimum amount of miles till you can get it fixed.

Oh...and you better drive with the windows down so you don't get carbon monoxide poisioning. [eek]

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol yeah ^^^, do you really think burning my exhaust valves is in the question its my only car and i'm trying to borrow the parents until the 22nd but you know they need there car too.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You have decent length of pipe under there, it not like you have a stock ZX3 header,to that crazy vertical cat and thats it - I think you will be fine, but don't get on the gas too hard untill you get the new pipes. Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
You will be fine when it comes to your valves. There is a couple header bends and the restriction of the cat that will create enough back pressure

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
You will be fine when it comes to your valves. There is a couple header bends and the restriction of the cat that will create enough back pressure
This is not correct.

WD40 is correct, but I would point out a few things:

1. Have you checked the O2 sensors? If one or more came off during this process, your air/fuel management is impacted. If you run rich, for too long, you can burn the valves.

2. You will notice a significant loss in torque. As the back pressure is greatly reduced (you no longer have a length of pipe or a muffler), the engine loses resistance and while it MAY (doubtful) make a slight increase in HP, but your torque will fall through the floor because of a lack of resistance..

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No the cat and O2's are still there, right after that is where it broke. It was the middle pipe like right under the drivers seat cracked, and then came off. I Only drove it a couple times after this happend i honestly didn't notice a difference in the way the car drove i just noticed the noise lol, but i am getting new exhaust now sooner then expected due to this so i guess its not a total loss.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Your best bet is to repair the car as soon as possible.

Remember, a car is a system of systems. When one fails, the others suffer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts