Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my IAC off tonight to clean it and fix a vacuum leak and i think i put it back on upside down. It ran better and now im wondering what the right way is?[???:)] I cant believe it can on one both ways though.

Or like this? or does it even matter?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It matters. Connector goes up like in the second picture. Ask me how I know this....
lol, ok i wont ask. Its weird after i fixed the vac leak and cleaned the IAC it runs better still a tad higher then it did before i took the intake off but not near as high.

Ill flip that back around and then see how it runs.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a thought, though. Ever think that your car ran better is because you fixed the vac leak? I cleaned mine once, but didn't notice much of a difference.
lol yeah that was a thought but i would think if the IAC was that important maybe it doesnt even do much?

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
cossie manifold has it flipped around but up is right for the stockie I guess

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well im going to flip it back around and then see how it runs. Im not even sure i understand how it works.

I went to oreiley to see how much a new one was and they wanted $80. they said "its a motor" but it just looks like a piston and spring with a plunger or something.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I swear it runs better with it upside down. The idle is nice and smooth and the car doesnt shake like it does when its turned the right way.

Does this mean the IAC is bad? What if i unplug it?

Or what if i make a plate and just cover the 2 holes?

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Turning the IAC upside down was an old 5.0 Mustang "trick" to smooth things out, and from the looks of it Ford is STILL using the same basic IAC design.

I wouldnt get rid of it all together, it compensates for load at idle and among other things.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. All it does is allow air to bypass the throttle plate. So you're basically opening up a passage no matter which way it's turned. It really shouldn't make a difference, but if it makes you happy, I don't see that it's hurting anything.

You don't want to block it off and remove it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i notice that there is a spring in it when i cleaned it i used a small flat blade and i forced it open while i sprayed it out. I then let it snap back but it seems to still have a slight gap like its not closing fully when its upright. I think when its upside down gravity pulls it closed fully so maybe that has something to do with it.

Im going to change it back and drive it till i get a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts