Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of using magnets glued to my dashboard and windshield (on the vinyl sun shade dots) combined with a magnetic mount so I could install a dash cam (to windshield) and phone (dashboard) to them.

The reason I wanted to use this particular mount is because they're relatively short and I could stretch the legs (broaden) out so that they lie as flat as possible on the dash for me to minimize lost surface area when my phone is placed on the mount. Previously, the GPS blocked a decent amount of the middle of the windshield because it was large and its mount took up some space.

The dashcam is going to be installed so that the tiny lens is popping out right under the vinyl dots and the mount can be rearranged so that it's supported by the magnets that I'll glue onto the glass.

I think I'll put a small piece of duct tape on the dash and the windshield, and use some very strong adhesive on the magnet to the tape. That way if I have to pull of the magnets, I won't take off the dash or glass with it and the tape should provide some protection.

My main concerns are damaging any of the electronics with these small magnets. Only 6 neodymium magnets would be in the car in two three-magnet clusters. The other magnets would be an identical setup from the mount itself (but I can't imagine that they'd be *that* strong).

What do you guys? Any issues with radio/Sirius interference or with any of the electronics? The dashboard mount will be immediately above the radio controls and the windshield magnets will be near the reverse mirror (although the stock mirror has been replaced with a backup camera LCD mirror instead).

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I would think it will be okay. IPads have strong magnets built into them to hold on a flip cover and they are okay. I think magnets only ever caused a problem with CRT displays and physical HDDs. Everything is LCDs and flash storage these days.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
I would think it will be okay. IPads have strong magnets built into them to hold on a flip cover and they are okay. I think magnets only ever caused a problem with CRT displays and physical HDDs. Everything is LCDs and flash storage these days.
Exactly this. You should be fine, also the magnets used in that mount will not be strong enough to interfere with the electrical components inside your dash even if it could. You will be fine.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I do not know where the device which finds the direction North is. The car knows the compass and has a way of adjusting for it. But your magnets may screw it all up.
I doubt it is of any importance though except if you get lost easy?

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
My thought was that the car uses GPS for the compass.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
GPS can tell you where you are, and which way you've moved.

It's not set up to tell you which way you're pointing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts