Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a ST motor fit into a Svt that's a real question cause I'm weighing the options of putting a turbo in it with the access port and the install and it's a bit of money so do you guys think it will fit

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
The space is there, but IDK of such a swap complete to date.

The larger worry is how to arrange the wiring/electronics/instruments to mate with the SVT, if not a full installation of ST harness/components.

ST standalone harness from Ford Racing? It's available, but so far swaps have been into a MkIII with some adaptations or complete swap as needed.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,080 Posts
You would need to start here.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/engine-transmission-swap/262509-duratec-swap-faq-answers.html

I don't believe they make an AP3 for the MK1 Focus yet. Just SCT with the XCAL. Since the ST is a duratec you need to check in how much is different between the dtec and SVT zetec.

It will probably be cheaper to buy a turbo kit for the SVT...would be unique if done for sure. But it has been out for 4 years and only recently was the ST put into a MK3 sedan.

Rebel Devil Customs if you are curious.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
That's a great reference for the earlier duratec, and there's a VERY interesting thread right now in the Engine/trans swap section on an oddball swap - the OP used BOTH SVT & duratec PCMs to keep some SVT features.

One item for any duratec swap if you didn't know already - it wont bolt to a zetec transmission. Tranny, axles, and everything to go with are needed as well as the engine.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/engine-transmission-swap/713481-svt-duratec-swap.html

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,080 Posts
That's a great reference for the earlier duratec, and there's a VERY interesting thread right now in the Engine/trans swap section on an oddball swap - the OP used BOTH SVT & duratec PCMs to keep some SVT features.

One item for any duratec swap if you didn't know already - it wont bolt to a zetec transmission. Tranny, axles, and everything to go with are needed as well as the engine.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/engine-transmission-swap/713481-svt-duratec-swap.html
Couldn't you swap the bell housing and they would be the same correct? I was going to link that thread, but figured it didn't really relate to a certain degree. It confused me anyway.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
That thread is VERY confusing, a rather unique solution that may never be duplicated.

I put it as a reference just to display HOW difficult it is to retain SVT gauges with a basic duratec swap. Intended to show that a current ST swap would likely need current gauge pack etc. unless you could do something similar using the stand alone ST engine harness/ECU avail. from Ford.

You COULD swap bell housings for the MTX-75 trans in a std. Focus, but with that being also half the trans case it means a full rebuild to make sure all fits correctly.

SVT uses the Getrag six speed, but I don't think the current one for the ST is any close relation.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Yes, brand & gear count is the same - but AFAIK it's an entirely different transmission built to handle the higher power of the current ST (and similar cars).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes, brand & gear count is the same - but AFAIK it's an entirely different transmission built to handle the higher power of the current ST (and similar cars).
Yea I can imagine there are differences I was just merely stating it was a getrag used as well in the current model might make for maybe some similarities ????

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
One important similarity is that you need axles to match when using one.

MTX-75 axles don't fit the box at all.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Best is to use a donor st if your up to it + fab skills. You have a svt, I'd just stick w/ the zetec & hop it up if wanted/needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts