Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
also....approx. how much would it be to get winter tires if so? where would be the cheapest?

·
Quarter Tank Racer
2,124 Posts
From what I understand, it's mandatory in parts of Canada (if not throughout the country) to have a set of dedicated snow tires.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not here...i think it might only be quebec where it's mandatory.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yeah it's only mandatory in Quebec.

It's always a good plan to run some proper winter tires. They make a world of difference in drivability for sure.. especially in Winterpeg :3

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Definitely get winter tires. All seasons are only good enough in occasional snow and even then, they will not have good control.

For the cheapest you can get, try Craigslist. It is very much a hit and miss but if you have the time and patience, you can find a good deal. I got an almost brand new set worth about $400 for only $75. If you can't find anything, Tire Rack has good prices and you can get them with a second set of rims.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would recommend winter tires! Since driving with both all-season and winter, I would choose winter every time!

* I ordered my Titanium with the 18" summer tires, because I have to buy winter tires anyways.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
On dry pavement, the overall performance of an all-season tire steadily declines as the temperature gets colder. The crossover point is about 5 degrees Celsius. Colder than that, a winter tire outperforms an all-season tire. Winter tire performance sharply improves as temperatures fall from 5 degrees to -30 degrees Celsius, while the all-season tire approaches the "not recommended" status.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If you like your car treat it right get winter shoes for it safty first

·
Registered
29 Posts
Winter tires are obviously better in cold climates but having said that, traction wise the Focus may be better than the average fwd in slippery winter conditions due to the torque vectoring - I'm looking forward to testing this out.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Dunno about your area, but in mine if you get winter tires youre just wasting your money. It snows bigtime maybe once a season.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile We both know what Manitoba winters are like! Outside of the city your dealing with snow and some icy highways and in the city the streets turn into a polished sheet of ice at every light. After having a set on my last car I'll never go without them again. Main reason is safety, but also your all-seasons last longer and road salt wont eat away your nice summer rims.

I live close to the US border so I'm getting mine from tirerack.com and picking them up at Connies parcel depot in Walhalla so i dont have to pay the crazy shipping charges to Canada. Total cost $700 including the 15" steel rims. If you find them for the same price or cheaper locally, let me know! I'll do the same.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live close to the US border so I'm getting mine from tirerack.com and picking them up at Connies parcel depot in Walhalla so i dont have to pay the crazy shipping charges to Canada. Total cost $700 including the 15" steel rims.
that's what i was thinking of doing...well worth the trip!

which winter tires are you getting? also, if my titanium is going to have 17" rims...can the winter tires be smaller rims as long as the tire circumference is the same? is it cheaper to get 15" or 16"?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile I have 17's aswell. If you select a 2012 Focus you'll see the 15" set as an option. speedo shouldnt be out because the overall circumfrence is very close. 15's are cheaper, but mainly you get alot more options. I chose the General Altimax cause consumer reports gave it a really good review ( 2nd overall). At $73 a piece its cheaper than anything you'll find out here.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You also have to buy rims on top of that...it adds up :/

·
Registered
459 Posts
Here in Newfoundland, only a fool would drive without winter tires during winter! I understand the inland areas of Canada usually get even more snow than we do, so I'd say you're better off investing in some winter tires.

·
Registered
164 Posts
that's what i was thinking of doing...well worth the trip!

which winter tires are you getting? also, if my titanium is going to have 17" rims...can the winter tires be smaller rims as long as the tire circumference is the same? is it cheaper to get 15" or 16"?
Winter tires in Winnepeg? YES.

Just the wicked cold temps you guys experience is alone reason enough for investing in snow tires. As mentioned before, all seasons will not be effective once the temperature drops below a certain point.

It is generally recommended that you drop down one size - so that's 16" for you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You also have to buy rims on top of that...it adds up :/
$700.00 includes the rims, tires, balancing and shipping from tirerack. All you have to do is swap off your all-seasons. I know after buying a car the last thing you want to do is drop more cash, for me its a safety thing and I'm not running my black 17" rims in my profile pic in the winter.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything cheaper.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
$700.00 includes the rims, tires, balancing and shipping from tirerack. All you have to do is swap off your all-seasons. I know after buying a car the last thing you want to do is drop more cash, for me its a safety thing and I'm not running my black 17" rims in my profile pic in the winter.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything cheaper.
Posted via FF Mobile
you're just going with the black basic steel rims, correct?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yup, good 'ol black steelies. I don't use hub caps cause its one more place for ice/snow to build up and throw your wheel balance off. Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 121 Posts