Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation, I purchased an SVT that had a pectel on it and I removed it and put everything back to stock. Except I only have the elbow with the MAF housing attached and a AEM filter that keeps falling off. At first the car did not want to start and I checked fuel relays, fuel cutoff switch, fuel module, and MAF,all were fine ( I used all from another focus). I purchased a new pump and the car ran fine for a couple of days then it sputtered on me on the highway and died. When I took off the pump and put it directly to 12v the pump was dead. Purchased another pump, car won't start. I started checking everything and found that the black and white cable coming from the module into the ECU was bridged with another cable going into the fuse/relay box in the motor and the gray fuel cable in the ECU. I removed this jumper and connected gray with gray and black and white with black and white and the car was running fine for 2 days then again it bogged again as if the sparks were fouled, opened up the hood saw the filter had popped out of the MAF housing. So now back to not wanting to start, while I was being pulled by my brother in law I would pop the clutch and it would start and bog, so I'm thinking the pump is still good, I welded all the wires and taped them up. My question could the amount of air going in through the open MAF housing caused this problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's not only critical to have air filtration to prevent base engine damage but the sampling ability of the MAF is also dependent on the airflow characteristics through the intake ducting.

It's useless for you to continue diagnosing your driveability issues until you have a proper airbox, zip tube and MAF housing. I'm not saying it can't work with an aftermarket intake or filter....but trying to diagnose these issues without a proper intake system is the equivalent of pissing up a pole - evenutally, you'll be pissing on yourself :)

·
FF Affiliate
31,175 Posts
Do you not have a xcal to datalog with , I wouldnt drive far with no filter and as stated you need the maf , piping , filter that your going to run in place to test things

Tom

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
you could have water in the engine without running a filter i would pull the plugs out and also check your oil for sludge

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to update this. I tracked down the issue, it was a ground wire, the one from the pump to the FPDM not having a good contact. While I was there I modded the access to the Fuel Pump by cutting a hole under the back seat. I also put up a airbox with a filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts