Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current USB output in the Focus SE is insufficient to do a "fast charge" of my LG G2. That's fine, as long as it maintains or slowly charges the phone, I'm not too displeased.

However, instead of hard wiring a dash cam to my car, would it work if I plugged in a small USB hub to the USB port in the center console box thing and had my phone and the dash cam get power from the hub?

Would that be sufficient to power a small dashcam device like the Mobius while still maintaining my smartphone's charge?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Each of the USB in the car provide only 0.5 amp. If you add a USB hub, you will just split the amp between all your devices.

I would simply suggest to wire a new cable from an unused fuse and attach it to your hub where you want in the car. This would provide enough power. Use a powered hub. Should be fairly easy to weld them together after.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I did was get one of these and plug it into the port in the back seat section and have cables running under the seats

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Port-Ma...10363075&sr=8-3&keywords=car+usb+charger+dual
Nice! The description says "This dual-USB car adapter features a massive 4.4A total output (2.4, 2.0) which is enough power to charge the iPhone or iPad at maximum speed. The 2.0A output also provides fast charging for most mobile devices including most smartphones and tablets."

This is a lot better than the .5 amp that's offered on the USB. Now I need to find an elegant way to go from rear port into the USB center console box thing without it looking terrible. How did you keep the wires in place everywhere when running it down the sides and floor of the car? Velcro?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Each of the USB in the car provide only 0.5 amp. If you add a USB hub, you will just split the amp between all your devices.

I would simply suggest to wire a new cable from an unused fuse and attach it to your hub where you want in the car. This would provide enough power. Use a powered hub. Should be fairly easy to weld them together after.
Uhh, no welding please :p

Would I still want a powered hub in that case?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
for my Mobius, I wired it into the fuse box. I found a "ignition on" fuse and used an add a fuse, then I wired in a 12V to 5 V adapter. (essentially a cigarette plug adapter). ran the wire up the A pillar and beneath the edge of the headliner.

its an invisible install. and the camera is on when the car is. very low maintenance.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
for my Mobius, I wired it into the fuse box. I found a "ignition on" fuse and used an add a fuse, then I wired in a 12V to 5 V adapter. (essentially a cigarette plug adapter). ran the wire up the A pillar and beneath the edge of the headliner.

its an invisible install. and the camera is on when the car is. very low maintenance.
Did you use any "super thin" type Micro USB cables or just the regular kind? Perhaps using a thinner gauge would make hiding it easier?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Did you use any "super thin" type Micro USB cables or just the regular kind? Perhaps using a thinner gauge would make hiding it easier?
i used a regular 9ft. USB mini cable that came with my mobius kit. it wasn't hard to hide in the trim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts