Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people tend to undo the rear LCA bolt (if it isn't completely corroded...but most likely is) and then have to buy new LCA's.

The Haynes manual says an internal spring compressor works fine although some people here have said it didn't fit. I'm hoping my LCA bolts are ok (no salt here, just lots of rain during the winter).

Have people had issues with fitting internal spring compressors to the point where they HAD to go at the LCA bolts??

Here's what I'm thinking of:

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
I tried externals on my 01 zx3, didnt have access to an internal one. the externals definately dont work and i had to cut out the LCA's. could be worth a shot because the cost of that tool is less than new LCA's

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't even want to think of how much my local Ford Dealership would charge me for LCA's... 1 bottle of Motorcraft trans fluid was about $34cdn!

I'll ebay the compressor if I have to.

·
Registered
240 Posts
dude use a pry bar but lose the shock first...there is not enough compression to jump at you..thats what i did cuz i was afraid of messing up a perfectly LCA that i didnt want to spend money for a new one since you wont touch for a years.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
before i tried the bolt, i tried doing some spring compressor, nothing liek those. it was the ones from autozone. and we couldnt get them safely seatin on the spring. I recommand doing it the normal way by removin the lca bolt.

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
i know there are other way's to do those spring's other than removing those bolts. But removing those bolt's is the easiest way i know.

I know when i did mine on my 05 thats how we did it but the car only had 6k on it

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Well the way I swap rear springs is I lift the rear of the car and put it on stands. Then I take my jack and place it under one spring. I Then I raid the jack up until it in nice and firm agains the arm that holds the spring. I do this because when I remove the bolt the spring won't go shooting off any where. Then I remove the outer bolt that is close to the break assembly. Once that bolt is out I slowly lower the jack. There is the spring no tention. Easy swap.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Look into getting another lca. That compressor isnt going to work. You may be able to get it into the spring, but how are you going to get it out? THink about that one first.

LCA's arent that much. I paid $55 at my local stealership. We dont salt the roads here and mine was siezed HARDCORE. The hard part is going to get that bolt out to replace the lca after you realize its seazed up. I used 180PSI and an air gun made for doin semi-truck work.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've heard that that style will work if you shorten the bolt. It looks easy enough, but there is not much room in there to work. I used the kind that clamps onto the spring with 4 U-bolts. It worked, but it was way too difficult. I would have been better off buying new LCA's.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I've never used a compressor on the rears..........

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used this method to remove my rear springs this past weekend. I bought a 12" long "internal spring compressor" off ebay and it barely fit in there. AIr tools help immensely in compressing the spring, otherwise you'll be turning the bolt A LOT before its compressed enough to pop out.

I did this b/c my LCA bolts were frozen in place..big surprise right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts