Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard Focus, currently has 15" Ford alloys. I am looking at a set of 17" wheels my friend has. The tyres are 215/45 zr 17. Will these fit?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
yes they will fit. i went from 14" stock wheels to 235/45/17's

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
when buying wheels there are a few things you need to know.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Ford___Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

a focus has 4x108 bolt pattern (aka 4x4.25"). few other cars have this pattern so wheels are more difficult to find. THe focus has a centerbore of 64mm. make sure the bore on the wheels is larger than this, or else you will need to machine them.
A focus needs a wheel offset between 40mm and 55mm. any more or less will almost garantee rubbing fender or strut.

enjoy the wheels if they will fit.

that being said a 225/45/17 tire is a little large, and if you are lowered or the wheels are towards the outside of the offset range i mentioned above, you will rub. the stock tire size is 215/45/17

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
the offset matters. standard studs most likely will not. i went to pep boys and bought a pack of locking lug nuts. they are 12mm X 1.5. stock tires on SVT's if i am correct are 225/45/17's.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
i originally went with 205/40/17's and felt everything in the road and bent a wheel bad enough that it had to be replaced

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ya 205's are a bit too short IMO... i went with 215/40/17's on my 40 offset wheels... drives great and doesn't rub with my FRPP kit either

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree. I have 205/40/17 on a 17x7 wheel and it IS too short, but not only that, but the tire is a bit stretched on the rim too making it way too easy to "curb". Ya gotta think about ride qualityh (if the tire profile is too short), whether it might rub (if the tire width is too wide) or if it is too narrow (which makes it really easy to put some nasty curb rash on your nice wheels). IIRC, a 215/45/17 is really close to the 195/60/15 diameter.

My 2 cents!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wonder about the weight issue. I know it's only about 5 pounds per wheel not including the tire weight but does anyone have any comment about their experience going from 15" to 17".

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
i went from 14" to 17" well over a year ago and my only issues were the pervious owner of the wheels had too low of a profile on them when i got them. since ive bought new tires, its been great

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
I went from the stock 15's to 195/60/15 to a 17 inch with 215/45/17 and they look great. No problems at all. All I need now is a drop. The factory 15's just look to small on the Focus.

·
Registered
131 Posts
225 40 17's are just about the same diameter as the 205 50 16 and 195 60 15's. however you are limited to a +/- 3% diff. on diameter. anything smaller or larger will give you an inaccurate speedometer reading.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I agree. I have 205/40/17 on a 17x7 wheel and it IS too short, but not only that, but the tire is a bit stretched on the rim too making it way too easy to "curb". Ya gotta think about ride qualityh (if the tire profile is too short), whether it might rub (if the tire width is too wide) or if it is too narrow (which makes it really easy to put some nasty curb rash on your nice wheels). IIRC, a 215/45/17 is really close to the 195/60/15 diameter.

My 2 cents!
oh cry me a river about a 205 on a 7" wide wheel

http://www.benlevy.com/auto/show/tref08/img_1217.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wonder about the weight issue. I know it's only about 5 pounds per wheel not including the tire weight but does anyone have any comment about their experience going from 15" to 17".
No question, the additional weight increases what is known as the rotational mass. Increasing the rotational mass effectively results in a loss of torque because it takes more work to spin the wheels, but it might be less if you can find some really light wheels. Add to that, the heavier your wheels are over stock, the more unsprung weight you will have, making your suspension work harder to achieve the same results (read more suspension wear and tear).

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Hi there

Will 205/40 zr17. Et25 rims fit my mk1 focus 2.0 ghia. Really hard to find a straight answer
If its a 4x108 bolt pattern, yes they will fit...as in bolt to the car. Will they work well, not really. Stock focus wheels are around et49 offset. So they will roughly protrude an additional 25mm or an inch further out than stock offset wheels and poke from your fenders.

Additionally, the stock focus tire size for a 17" wheel is 215/45 r17 or 205/45 r17. So you are also looking at a shorter overall diameter wheel/tire combo. I would not recommend that size wheel/tire for a Focus

1 - 18 of 18 Posts