Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow... is all I can say really... I've had a few hours to calm down and collect my thoughts from this experience so I figured I'd post and let everyone know about it.

I was talking on my phone with my boss, on my way to work today around 2:15pm going westbound on SR-408 in Orlando. Out of nowhere a large tin can bounces up from underneath the car in front of me and is heading straight for my windshield. So I swerve to the right to avoid it and the tires start to get slippery. From there I applied slow and even braking and just tried to hold on, it was pretty much a blur but I think I overcorrected to the left and did a 360 across the 3 lanes and ended up spinning another 360 crossing into the emergency lane. All I know is that one point my rear passenger side was inches from smashing the wall and then the next second my front bumper was about to meet the same fate. When the smoke cleared I was in the left emergency lane, facing the right direction, and the drivers side of my car was so close to the concrete barrier that I could not open my door. So I pull up a few feet so I can get out and my heart felt like it was running 20lbs of boost and I was shaking badly from adrenaline.

Literally 30 second later a cop pulls off the road behind me to make sure I was alright. He asked if anyone had cut me off or anything, and he walked around my car and couldnt believe there wasnt any damage. After he determined that there were no casualties he drove off.

Only damage to my car was some pretty severe tire wear on the two front wheels. The tires had less than 10k on them and now in two spots they are pretty much bald, so I put the stockers back on the front for now. I'm pretty sure that if I had differnet tires or hadn't done all the suspension mods I have to this car that I would have hit the barrier and possibly rolled it.

After I put the stockers on the front I went back to the skid marks to try and get a better idea of what had happened earlier, here are some pics...

You can see that just ahead the left emergency lane slims down to nothing a few hundred feet up...

Here you can see how close I was to the barrier when I came to a stop...

·
Registered
900 Posts
WOW!!!!yea i'd say someone was looking out for you...just be very careful when your talking on you cellphone when your driving...maybe next time you won't be paying that much attention to the road and something worse could happen...so glad your ok man!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
wow dude. wow. I'd say you are very lucky its obviously good to hear nobody got injured, along with no damage to the car other than the tires.. damn debris on the roads...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Holy Crap!!!
I cant picture what happened, even following those skid marks, they are nuts!

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
crazy ride... i know how you feel about the heart racing! i locked them up this summer going into work cuz a deer jumped infront of me, scared the piss out of me, but it didnt flat spot my tires like that... wow

·
Ehh...
6,265 Posts
wow that sucked monkey balls! but the great thing about this is that u came out ok, ur car had no damages....but whats the manufacture of the tires? cuz they look like (from im seeing) that off-brand japanese tires called nexus or something.

*and this must be a bad time for us focus owners cuz there's been a lot of freak accidents going around this month.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Wow be thankful you and your car got off unscathed. That's luck, also surprised the cop didn't cite you with failure to control.

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
a new set of tires is much better than a week in the body shop!

glad to hear your alright man!

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
^or a week or 2 in the hospital.

So glad to see that you & your car made it out alive.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
def. glad to hear that you are alright...your car is replaceable...unfortunately you are not

·
Registered
38 Posts
Glad to hear your alright man! Some one was definately watching out for your! With me being a firefighter/paramedic I see accidents like this alot around Houston! Glad to hear that you and your car are alright!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
glad to see you and the foci are Ok! :p

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
lucky lucky lucky >_>

1 - 20 of 54 Posts