Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all hope someone can help I have a 2013 focus stalled on wife in puddle halfway up doors.did not sit in it long maybe five min. Untill pushed out in neutral backwards by hand.towed home sat the night replaced air fillter,oil,oil filter,pulled plugs cranked by hand to remove water from cylinders if any,did not look like any water was in oil but replaced anyway,drained fuel tank with siphon from top tank after disconnecting filler hose,drained tranny,filled till it flowed out filler hole.old trans fluid was really dark and not really trasparent or red more of a really dark brown or even blackish like oil almost anyway got in turned key nothing wait a few seconds a lot of noise from I think trans and turn key again and starts up runs really rough but does idle low between 500 & 1000 press gas pedal and bogs down let off and goes back to 500 to 1000 guessing water still in exhaust not allowing it to flow out creating to much back pressure? Figuring I'd drive around neiborhood to clear out, shift to reverse and nothing just sits there goto drive it pulls forward about 4 or 5 feet dies and transmission failure service soon pops on turn off recrank starts and runs same so let idle for hours in driveway to try and burn off any remaining water in fuel or exhaust system, it's idling a little smoothier but still have to let the noise cycle to get power to crank over and trans warning can't drive to check codes at autozone any ideas can help please it's my only tansportation to work and five kids to feed

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Trans. uses special Ford Synthetic trans fluid (special gear oil) not ATF, so not being red isn't an issue. Fill with the right stuff if you didn't, but that shouldn't be the current problem.

Concerned with how much water might be in the clutch bell housing, we know oil can seep out from that area, at least on some cars, but it seems to be sealed better than a typical manual trans housing with a weep hole in the bottom.

Could you see any dripping from that area when working underneath?

"Noise cycle" actually sounds good, as at least some of the transmission actuators must still be working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did use trans fluid ford dealer gave me don't have bottle anymore so can't tell you addzactly what it was but sure it was right did not see any leaks anywhere just came in from turning it off after running for about four hours at idle in drive and it was really hot and humid in car thinking from exhaust getting so hot is it possible bad o2 sensors and or cadalitic converter is full of water still creating back pressure when gas pedal is pushed its ran a total of like 6 to 8 hours in the last to 2 days

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did forget to mention I unplugged all electrical connections inspected for pulled out or broken wires and spraying out with compresser and blow gun attachment the really rough idle could that have to do with fuel pump not working properly,and sorry so much going through my head I forgot to mention check engine light is blinking

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Blinking CEL usually means a "misfire" in one or more cylinders, might double check sparks plugs & installation of coils (assume plug wells dry now).

I'd assume humid in car, you DID mention it got water halfway up doors... Lot of drying out going on.

Hopefully at least the ECU/TCM etc. stayed dry, mounted a little higher in the MkIII.

Right trans fluid is a plus, wondered about that when you mentioned looking for red.

HOPED you saw some water dripping from the bellhousing, that would at least show it's draining if water was in there.

Still not revving up? As well as the poor idle? (CAT's & exh. would certainly be dry now)

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Draining tank with siphon does not qualify as a clean tank, even a small amount of water will cause misfire and car most likely goes into failsafe mode with trans then. The tank will OFTEN hold more water than you think after you siphon it out, and the water gets picked up by pickup first.

I just siphoned one out using the fuel module hole (hole cut under back seat) and where I could even direct the hose anywhere I wanted by eyesight, still close to 1/4" of fuel left in it, a good 1/4 gallon or so. I did not lean the car way over by jacking though. Could have gotten more out doing that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I figured that's a lot of heat and should have evaporated all water by now but I've seen weirder things if h20 is gone could it be clogged with mud and junk carry in by the water and clogged it when it dried if so is there a way to clean it my self and not have to replace and maybe the 02 sencers are shot could that account for rough idle and bogging down when gas pedal is pushed

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Actually doubt you got any water in the tank from the incident description, it's sealed pretty well. Vent would have been above water level.

Question that DOES come to mind is whether the air filter you changed had gotten wet - and if so how badly.

Water getting past that could have damaged the MAF sensor, even if not bad enough to do serious engine damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Air filter was wet not dripping by I got to it but there was condensation in the hole it pushes onto I did dry it out before replacing with new but defiantly moisture

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
FWIW I did see someone comment on a new engine being covered under insurance for hydolock in the Detroit area (wasn't a Focus so no story on it here - members relative)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts