Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so something wierd is going on with my car and I really am confused on what it is.

Here is what happens,

Whenever I start the car most of the time I can hear the exhaust and it sounds different from usual. If I rev the car it hesitates a lot and seems like it misses or sputters. Not to sure exactly what is happening.

Sometimes if I just let the car sit for a couple minutes the problem goes away.

Now if I turn the car off before I move or let it sit for a litle and start it back up, the problem is 8 out of 10 times gone.

Now if I put the car in gear and try to move while it is still sputtering or missing it bogs down heavily and the exhaust pops a lot when I shift.

I am really confused on what is wrong. Plugs and wires are fresh with less than 5k miles on them. Plugs are motorcraft coppers and wires are Taylor Thundervolts. This is driving me crazy. So does anyone ever experienced this or have any cures for the problem?

Thanks

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm kinda leaning towards a slow or poor O2 sensor. Could be other things, dirty MAFS, broke TPS, etc. but from the sounds of it, it's running real rich on startup. Could even be a crack in the vacuum line to the FPR.

Any codes stored by chance?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No codes. Only one that keeps coming up i think is P1000, something about some test or something.

Rear o2 sensor is off cuase of tune and front one is brand new. I had a bad one and just replaced it.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
P1000 - Monitor Testing Not Complete The on board diagnostic II (OBD II) monitors are performed during the OBD II Drive Cycle. The DTC will be stored in continuous memory if any of the OBD II monitors do not complete. Vehicle is new from the factory
Battery or PCM had recently been disconnected
An OBD II monitor failure had occurred before completion of an OBD II drive cycle
PCM DTCs have recently been cleared with a scan tool
PTO circuit is shorted to VPWR or B+ or PTO is on during testing
The DTC does not need to be cleared from the PCM except to pass an inspection/maintenance test.

If I'm reading that right and you haven't cleared codes or disconnected the battery prior to the code popping up, it would mean that the ECU is loosing power when the key is turned off each time making building the tables real hard. Might be wrong being I'm no Ford tech, but sorta makes sense to me.
Check the ECU fuses once just to make me feel better, IIRC there are 2 in the underhood panel.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is a technical service bulletin for the SVT focus for rough, rolling or high idle or induction backfire - mainly after cold start. The bulletin tells you to check the band clamps (hose clamps) that go around the intake hoses (the four individual short hose pieces for the intake manifold.) and replace them if neccessary. The ford part number for the clamp if you need them are W525939-S300. Or for $25 you can get all new silicone hoses with clamps from CFM.

Not sure if this is the cause of your problem, but it is a place to check.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
iminhell pretty muched covered everything you should check...I would really try the TPS...its cheap and can really make the SVT a dog if not working properly..

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well maf was cleaned when I put the AEM on and that was in the last 5k so I am going to try the tps first. It really starting occuring after I put the 65mm tb on so it probably is just going bad.

About the clamps, I have never checked the clamps on the manidold but I will look at them this weekend.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will also check those fuses once this super cold weather has left.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok here is a little update.

I have replaced the TPS and I tightened the clamps on the intake manifold. I have also replaced both 40amp fuses to the ecu.

The problem still occurs. Lately it has started bucking/surging in 2nd gear at about 2k to 2.5k. The car has also started stalling again. It has happened 3 times in the past 30 days or so. This is the first time it has happened since the tune.

I have yet to check the vacuum line in the FPR. Is the FPR vacuum line located by the fuel rail?

Car is tuned by Tom and we are trying to figure out what is wrong but so far we have not come up with anything.

Anyone have any other ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts