Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went out to the car this morning, running late for a Dr's appt. and started up the car. Put it into reverse, and then backed up a bit, put it in 1st gear and it wouldn't go forward, it almost stalled, so I put it into reverse again, reverse works fine, but any other gear it stalls.

Since I was running late I left it at home and took the SVT Contour.

Any ideas?? No CEL. I also noticed briefly that my passenger floor was soaked with rain water. Has anyone else had a leaky passenger floor? *wierd*

-Brian

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you sure it's rain water? a wet passenger floor is classic of a leaking heater core...

as for the trans...sorry, no idea. probably not the shift forks since you say the shifter goes into the gear space. have you tried 3rd or 4th gears? gears 1,2,5, and 6 ride on one layshaft, and 3,4, and R on the second layshaft. could be something seized up with the first layshaft. see if you can get it going in 3rd gear (unless you already tried that)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, I am sure about the water, It has only occured on a torrential downpour.

I'll have to try 3rd and 4th, I wasn't sure which gear linkages do which gear.

-Brian

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Unfortunately, I doubt the two problems are related.[:(]

Not much help on the tranny issue, but,
here's some info on the water leak:
Article No.02-25-1
TSB 03-18-2

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Low speed plus bogging = TPS. Read my "weird" thread above yours. Mine was due to heavy rain too. Do this...rev your motor in nuetral (giving light throttle)...does it stumble? Now rev it fast, should rev nice and smooth. If it does, unplug the TPS and see if it changes...if not...TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check it in the morning. The thing is wierd though, cuz it would back up in reverse no problem...just had a hard time going forward.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Yeah, maybe the gearing made it possible. Mine started in 1st fine (at first) then mid way through 2nd it would bog down. Then, at a light, the car felt like I was towing a cruise ship. As soon as I floored it though, it was fine. Then I tried revving and it barely wanted to do anything. Even weirder, it kicked my TC light on. New Sensor installed and its perfect...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, started up and works fine this morning, but I have a CEL now... checked the ECU with the Predator and says no trouble codes...?

Confused...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The water on the floor could be the good old cowl leak... check that black plastic cowling on the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check it out, I did just have my windshield replaced, maybe they messed something up, but IIRC this did happen once before I got the windshield fixed.

-Brian

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...I thought it had gone away but it hasn't. It doesn't seem to be related to the shifting/transmission at all. Rather I think it is in fact the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

To diagnose this I am going to watch the TPS voltage on the predator when it acts up, I assume the voltage reading will display some wierdness since it is probably just shorting out.

This has happened thrice in the past 2 days while driving the engine lost its place and I had to shut off the engine and start it up while still travelling forward, fun times.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
well, the ECM is located just above that water logged floor... any chance it got wet?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suppose so.... where is it exactly? Then I can check it.

-Brian

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I haven't looked since I had to come to work, but I ran my heater at full blast to hopefully evaporate any remaining water in the floor area. The stumbling happened once while I was leaving, but that was before it was dried, so we will see how it does on the way home tonight.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I ended up taking it to the stealership. They had it for two days and couldn't figure anything out since the problem didn't show itself. But since then it has operated fine. Fingers crossed it will be fine.

Just curious now that I smell oil in the ventilation ducts. Where is the cabin air inlet located? I will check the filters for any oil.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well for the ignition happenings I had ordered a new MSD coil and wires from C-F-M and those arrived this morning. Put them in started her up and.... ran worse than before. Talked with C-F-M on their online chat for a bit.

Later I found that one of the 3 wires leading into the coil connecter was almost completely cut thru, so only 2 strands of copper were connected...the rest exposed to the elements. I think this is my true problem.

I ordered a new connector from the Ford dealer, should be here tomorrow. Should be up and running 100% this weekend, with upgraded coil/wires I might add...hehe strange how you get things done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts