Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the boards....I looked for another post with a similar problem but couldnt find one on the first few pages so I gave up....

I own a 2001 zx3....and it runs well, everything works and stuff...but when Im accellerating and it reaches anywhere between 3 and 5k rpm....the engine/car hesitates or "bucks" as if Im going to stall yet the RPMs stay fairly consistant and only my speed suffers.....Think of it like ur accelerating and some ghost is in your car tapping the brake....thats what it feels like...it happens in all gears for the most part..

whats wrong? and what do I need to fix it?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
sounds like an ignition missfire. check your plugs and wires, look at the coil pack and scan the comp for codes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott_SVT said:
sounds like an ignition missfire. check your plugs and wires, look at the coil pack and scan the comp for codes.
Im about to frustate u....truthfully I need to be educated on all this what is a coil pack? where is it? how do I check it? Plug = spark plugs? How do I acess those? And what wires am I checking? And what is an ignition missfire? And how do I scan the computer?

213slayer666 said:
probably the fuel pump, there is an extended warranty on it
Ive been hearing about this fuel pump recall thing....if I take it to ford will they give me a new one or laugh in my face?

I wont be really suprised if no one bothers anymore....lol Im only 18 and Im not a big motor head tho Ive been around cars all my life....since my dad is a cobra enthusiast...however cobra theroy is a little different then the zx3.....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Not to sound mean, but I think you might want to have someone look at the car for you. It sounds like you need a little one on one how-to lesson.

Maybe you can ask someone to come over and help you check things out, or find a shop where the mechanic won't mind you peeking over his shoulder.

I'm all for someone that wants to do-it-themself, but you need to have a base knowledge of how the car works before you try to diagnose stuff.

No offense, and I hope you have that type of resource near you. If you can't think of anyone nearby, maybe post up a topic in the regional forum you live in and see if someone will help you on a G2G.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No offence taken ....I know im in the dark on cars...I just thought u might know what was wrong that way when I take it to someone and they try to bullshit me I can shoot them down...but thx anyway...

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's sounds like a lot like the problem I had with my DPFE (Differential Press Feedback Egr) sensor on my 2001 sedan. About as quick and easy as a fix comes. The part at the dealer is about $30 and takes less than 5 minutes to replace. Ford issued a service bulletin for the part extending its warranty due to the problems with it. You'll have to check, but I think if the car is within 50k/5 years you'll get it done for free. If you do it yourself be sure to clear the check engine light by pulling the battery for a good 10 minutes or so. Afterwards, the engine may run a little funny while the computer relearns your driving patterns, but then you're good. THis fixed my car like a charm. Before the new DPFE it was shuttering accompanied by the check engine light. For 30 bucks it's worth checking out considering some places will charge you that much just to remove a couple of lugnuts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts