Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, 215 45 17s fit on my 04 focus, but what is the biggest I could get on there? I tried a search, but it seems I didn't find much with anyone running anything bigger then 2254517.

I'm interested in stuffing the 245/35 16 toyo under there, a good bit wider, but also shorter, which should get some extra clearance. Any experience with this tire size or anything similar.

Of course, also, if you are running wide, what wheel width, offset and how low are you?

Thanks
Mike Patterson

·
Registered
456 Posts
with the standard offset Ive heard that the absolute widest that you can go is 235,you might be able to shove some 245s but Im just not sure. give it some time I quite sure somebody is running that size on this site.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I have yet to hear of anyone with the proper offset running anything over 225 WITHOUT any rubbing issues and in all honestly, 215 is the widest I'd ever go myself............

For the record, I'm talking about with the stock fenders and/or NOT rolled either.

You can get the RS fenders or something of that style to allow for a wider tire/different offset so there's possiblities to this. With the stock setup for the most part, 215 is 'safe', anything over is a risk UNLESS specifics are looked at.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not mind in the least bit rolling the fenders, but i'm not spending the loot or time to change fenders. I may be able to get a hair bit of flare using the rolling tool.

Let me be more clear, speaking of specifics, who has done what and what kind of rubbing issues or lack there of are there. For example, I do not care if the tire were to hit the fender liner, of inner wheel well at full lock, but it must not go into the fender lip at full compression.

Thanks
P

·
Registered
399 Posts
i run 225/45/16 on my car mounted on 42mm offset enkei's. im also riding on sportline springs. i dont experience and rub whatsoever. no fender rolling either. to be honest, i was expecting a little rub with the fenders and i was actually looking around for places where i can get my fenders rolled. i was told to wait until after i got my tires to see where they would rub, but apparently, there is no evidence of rubber making contact with the fender. i believe i may be able to squeeze a 235 with a little fender rolling

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
^^^Good man, I can not stand skinny tires either. I am running 225/45/17, I am lowered 1.8" and I only rub in the back on large dips, when I have passengers. But then again, I haven't installed aftermarket dampers yet.

Its a thing of beauty, I just have crappy cell phone pics posted here somewhere of what it looks like. Do a search.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If i stay in a more traditional size, i'll almost certainly be going with the 225/45/16s. Love the smaller O.D., less mass and rotating inertia, combined with bigger than stock section width, lower CG, they're just great. Still though, considering other options, thus this thread.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^Sweet.
And mine...(225/45/17)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84742

There isn't much room inside the fender.
235s might fit, but I'm betting 245 is going to rub on the inside of the liner.
And, a 245 will also most likely rub on the strut body, unless you get a really low offset wheel.
^^^Which will then make it rub on the fender.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
there is a thread of some guy with a sonic blue svt running 245-45-17's on his car. I have seen the pictures. 245 is pointless I think. I don't think the car or wheel can utilize a 245 tire. I would personally go 225-45 or 225-40. I have 215-45-17 though.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm running 215/45/17's and have a rubbing issue that just appeared about a month ago. However, I know that this is due to my stock suspension having 91K miles on it, with nothing replaced yet.

With a more on-topic note, I agree that the Focus is not really capable of utilizing a 245 tire. It may look cool, but I would be willing to bet that, even with rolled fenders, you would rub (for sure at full lock, and possibly under compression too).

·
Registered
226 Posts
i have 215/45/17's on my zx5. fit perfectly under the stock suspension, but when i put on the SVT suspension i got some serious rubbing. all i did was go along the wheel wells with my hand and did my best to roll the fenders. i didnt think it would work at all, but with the little muscle strength i have i did enough perfectly. eventually i want to go the ghetto way and use a baseball bat

take the bat, wedge it between tire and angle under fender and roll away!!! its the poor man's way but its just as effecient. just be careful not to do it too hard or you may push out some metal.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Pkmgarf said:
With a more on-topic note, I agree that the Focus is not really capable of utilizing a 245 tire. It may look cool, but I would be willing to bet that, even with rolled fenders, you would rub (for sure at full lock, and possibly under compression too).
For track use, yes, you can use utilize the 245 and rolling the fender is recommended.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot to look/measure the wheel clearance last night. Does the inside of the tire sit next to the spring or the strut body in the front? Will smaller diameter springs typical with threaded perch coil overs allow for more offset to bring the tire into the well a bit more? As I said, Forgot to look last night when I got home and the mrs. is curretnly driving the car.

also, a 245/35 16 has a listed O.D. of 22.8, a 215/45 17 in the same tire make has a listed O.D of 24.6. This will give almost an 1" of additional clearance around the tire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Goat Roper said:
For track use, yes, you can use utilize the 245 and rolling the fender is recommended.
My application is not for a track wheel/tire package. I currently track my miata. I may eventually autocross the Focus in STS.

P

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
i remember seeing a guy that ran goodyear eagle f1s in 245 on his stock svt rims, and he claimed they didnt rub. not sure about the sidewall but if i had to guess he was running a 35. if i knew for a fact that they would fit i would definately run a really wide tire.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Does the inside of the tire sit next to the spring or the strut body in the front?
^^^Strut body.
The spring perch sits about 1/2" above the circumference of the (stock) tires.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts