Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community. A question about installing a wideband O2 sensor (AEM 30-4110) before beginning the tuning process (xcal 4 with custom tune from Focus Power). The question I have is, since I still need the stock narrow band O2 sensor for my ECU (from what I’ve read, they can’t read a wideband sensor), where do I place the bung for the new sensor? Do I place it adjacent to the stock sensor or do I place it somewhere else? If so, where is it? How easily can I remove the part so that I can weld on the new bung. I can’t find any good info or diagrams. Some information I’ve run into suggests I might need an aftermarket exhaust header since it seems to be a header/cat combo? I sure hope that is not the case. Or if it is, that there is a work around? The AEM instructions say place the sensor 18 inches downstream from the exhaust port. On the stock header/cat combo, it would seem that perhaps there isn’t 18 inches in between the exhaust port and the cat. If anyone would be gracious enough to bless me with their wisdom on the topic I would be eternally grateful.

I am in a 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2.3l

·
FF Affiliate
30,508 Posts
Weld your bung in where the sensor is safe from things hitting it , placed before the CAT and some place easy to get to

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response Tom. If This is the layout of my exhaust system (I add the speculative “if” only because I haven't seen very much of my exhaust manifold) I assume part 1 is the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the cat. If this is the case, then it would be impossible to both place the sensor prior the cat and 18 inches downstream from the exhaust port. So that seeming to be the case, should the sensor go on the exhaust manifold somewhere? Or perhaps below the top flange of the cat? Is the 18 inches arbitrary or not necessary to observe? I appreciate the recommendation of placing it somewhere that is easy to get to but none of those possible places, I would say, qualify as that. Any input on this?

Thank you!
8C83FC41-B509-4A21-A2C9-F663A32FB43B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's a diagram of what the 2.0 zetec exhaust looks like. Yours is slightly different considering the exhaust exits the engine at the firewall and not the radiator. The best place for you to have the bung welded is near your flex pipe and somewhere around the upper portion (top half) of the pipe so any stray animals you clobber don't rip off the sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's a diagram of what the 2.0 zetec exhaust looks like. Yours is slightly different considering the exhaust exits the engine at the firewall and not the radiator. The best place for you to have the bung welded is near your flex pipe and somewhere around the upper portion (top half) of the pipe so any stray animals you clobber don't rip off the sensor.
Thank you kind human. I appreciate your input. This community is wonderful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts