Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to connect a wideband a/f gauge to my XCal2 to read a/f ratios? I want to get a tune and need a wideband a/f gauge but don't want to pay $230+ for a gauge and sensor kit. Is there a cheaper option?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on just buying a wideband a/f ratio guage, no wiring, no sensor, and connect it to my XCal2 with that special analog cable. If I do that while datalogging, will that give me an accurate a/f ratio (wideband) or will it act just like a narrowband gauge?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what I got off of the downloaded XCal2 manual off of SC'Ts website:

"Analog input display:
-In a future update, your XCalibrator2 will be able to display an air-fuel ratio on the device screen for supported wideband O2 sensor kits. These Wideband O2 sensors will plug into an analog input on the XCalibrator2."

Anybody know if that update is available yet?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I was planning on just buying a wideband a/f ratio guage, no wiring, no sensor, and connect it to my XCal2 with that special analog cable. If I do that while datalogging, will that give me an accurate a/f ratio (wideband) or will it act just like a narrowband gauge?
Yeah but the bad thing about that is you will only see it when you datalog vs. all the time if you get the wiring and sensor with it. I can't imagine datalogging everytime you drive it. I would wanna see it ALL the time so you can know right away if you're running too lean or too rich. That extra cash for the whole kit may save you from buying an engine later if there were problems.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Here is what I got off of the downloaded XCal2 manual off of SC'Ts website:

"Analog input display:
-In a future update, your XCalibrator2 will be able to display an air-fuel ratio on the device screen for supported wideband O2 sensor kits. These Wideband O2 sensors will plug into an analog input on the XCalibrator2."

Anybody know if that update is available yet?
Not sure. I would ask Tom or email SCT.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
You should be able to show any parameter you are logging (including analogs) on the on-device log

I am looking at getting the LC-1 with no gauge and just doing tuning with it as well, you dont need to know your a/f 100% of the time once it is tuned it will not change... more important is oil psi, EGT, water temp, knock sensor add/retard (J&S gauge).... even if you get bad gas it will not run lean or rich. Only thing a/f is helpful once its tuned is knowing when you get a vac leak.

so, hook it up as an analog, datalog with it as one of the gauges on the top of the screen, and call it a day.

·
FF Affiliate
30,932 Posts
You should be able to show any parameter you are logging (including analogs) on the on-device log

I am looking at getting the LC-1 with no gauge and just doing tuning with it as well, you dont need to know your a/f 100% of the time once it is tuned it will not change... more important is oil psi, EGT, water temp, knock sensor add/retard (J&S gauge).... even if you get bad gas it will not run lean or rich. Only thing a/f is helpful once its tuned is knowing when you get a vac leak.

so, hook it up as an analog, datalog with it as one of the gauges on the top of the screen, and call it a day.
I feel with boost a AF Gauge is needed for when you run WOT and can keep an eye on it because WOT AF can change , You shouldnt need a J&S with the ZX3 99% of them work fine , I wouldnt do a EGT Gauge

Tom

·
Registered
720 Posts
To view wideband (air/fuel) readings you need a wideband O2 sensor, period.

To connect to an X2/X3/livewire you do need the analog cable for the respected device, the wideband sensor and the control unit for that sensor. The sensor cannot be connected directly to the sct device; it has to be connect to the sensors control unit which interprets the voltage and outputs that voltage (which is what the sct device reads as an analog input.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts