Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel it would be wise for the guys doing the heavier mods to think about adding a Wide Band Air Fuel Gauge to there Focus

Tom

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,043 Posts
Where like TB, Intake, and exhaust is minor and doesn't need a tune to run correctly.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
How do you go about installing it? Do you have a recommendation for a gauge?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Also,what's the benefit? Aren't you able to see whatever info the gauge would provide already in the data log?

·
So mote be it
8,850 Posts
Also,what's the benefit? Aren't you able to see whatever info the gauge would provide already in the data log?

Sent from my SM-G920T using FF Mobile
The O2 sensor on the car now would be a narrow band; probably can only see 14.5:1 to 15:1 or similar. A wideband gives the tuner more data; its going to be faster and more accurate when data logging. A modified engine is probably going to be tuned richer, something around ~12:1 and up. Being able to read those AFR's will let the tuner be able to customize/optimize your tune.

I'm sure Tom and others can chime in, this is just my high level overview

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Okay cool, so it's not a gauge as in something on our dashboard, it's the actual o2 sensor he is saying we should replace.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Okay cool, so it's not a gauge as in something on our dashboard, it's the actual o2 sensor he is saying we should replace.

I think he's recommending a new sensor and gauge. I believe the stock computer won't know how to deal with a Wide Band sensor if it was set up for a Narrow Band, I think they run different connectors just to prevent this kind of thing.

So now I'm confused, the upstream O2 sensor in the car is already a wideband sensor, the one post-cat is a narrow band.

Tom are you saying that the stock Wideband isn't enough?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Well I thought we had a wide band on the upstream one and the down stream was just a regular o2 sensor. I think what he is saying is our up stream is a narrow band and we should upgrade it to a wide band.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well I thought we had a wide band on the upstream one and the down stream was just a regular o2 sensor. I think what he is saying is our up stream is a narrow band and we should upgrade it to a wide band.

A quick search an Autozone (not the most reliable but hey what can you do) show's a stock replacement sensor for the Up-Stream as a Bosch WideBand O2 Sensor

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Interesting. I wonder why that's not enough then.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Interesting. I wonder why that's not enough then.

My thoughts as well, I'm sure Tom has a reason. Hopefully, he jumps back into his own thread and provides some clarity!

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
There are several different options out there for a good wideband O2 gauge. The two most widely used and popular are the AEM Uego and the LM1 wideband. Both are very good, the AEM is one with a gauge that mounts in the car, and the innovative LM1 is not something that is permanently mounted in the car.

Link to the AEM
Digital Wideband UEGO AFR Gauge | AEM

Link to the innovative LM1
LM-2 Wideband O2 Digital Air/fuel Ratio Meter

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
So if our cars already have a wideband O2, could we just use our xcal 4's for the gauge? what would be the advantage to buying a set up like the AEM where it replaced the O2 and then has a dedicated gauge for it?

also, would we replace our upstream o2 with this or would we have to add the wideband in addition to our factory o2? my downstream o2 sensor is turned off right now because i have a aftermarket header, so could i just replace that o2 with the new wideband and then keep the factory upstream o2 sensor?

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
I'm not 100% positive of the 3rd gen focus uses a wideband O2 sensor from the factory. That being said to use a aftermarket sensor you would need to have an extra O2 bung welded in to place the AEM or the Innovated sensor. With this you will have the extra 0-5v wire to plug into you x3 or x4 to get the most accurate readings.

My thing is, if you spent the $1000 plus for the other mods what's an extra $200 to be able to get a safer tune. Yeah it adds up, but a few extra dollars can help save you from a tune that might be to lean.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I'm not 100% positive of the 3rd gen focus uses a wideband O2 sensor from the factory. That being said to use a aftermarket sensor you would need to have an extra O2 bung welded in to place the AEM or the Innovated sensor. With this you will have the extra 0-5v wire to plug into you x3 or x4 to get the most accurate readings.

My thing is, if you spent the $1000 plus for the other mods what's an extra $200 to be able to get a safer tune. Yeah it adds up, but a few extra dollars can help save you from a tune that might be to lean.
So do you think i could just replace the down stream o2 sensor with one of these since i am not using it anyway with my aftermarket header?

So you plug one of these directly into the x4? how do you go about doing that since the x4 plugs into the OBD2 when data logging? Also, is there a separate wire that goes from the wideband to the digital gauge?

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
You'll have the Xcal plugged into the OBD2 port but will have to obtain an SCT Analog Cable 9608 to connect the wires to your wideband. Then you'll need to set up your live link connection. If you are not using your downstream O2 and have it disabled through the tune you could use that bung for the WB O2 sensor.

Here is a decent write up by MPT performance
How to wire AEM UEGO 30-4100 to SCT Tuner using Analog Cable 9608

1 - 20 of 58 Posts