Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Wi Fi feature making the car into a hot spot.

I am sure 3G will work but I am wondering if 4G will work. We are looking to buy a Verizon or other service thumb drive without a contract to use on trips a few times a month . I believe you can usually pay by the day, week or month.

Anyone using this now and how well does it work?

·
Registered
781 Posts
It isn't so much the 3g/4g tech as it is the radio, sync is only compatible with very few usb modems directly. You might have better luck using USB tethering to your SmartPhone, but again it depends on the model. There is/was a list somewhere but I can't find it at the moment, search around with google.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ya I'd agree you might be better off tethering a smartphone. There's a very limited number of devices that can just be plugged in and set up through MyFord Touch.

Verizon also sells a few "MiFi" devices. They're basically just mobile hotspots. Most are the size of like 20 playing cards sitting on top of each other and if plugged in provide 3G/4G data via wifi to the surrounding 50ft or so. Perfect for trips and whatnot (I've used it plenty of times for that exact thing).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts