1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whynotthinkwhynot,

I love you signature:

4 words I hate: "for all except wagon"
I know this is quite common; however, it is no longer the case for ALL years,WAGON cat back exhaust.
I just finished installing the MBRP 2 1/4 inch cat back exhaust on my 2005 wagon. Fits PERFECTLY [thumb] [thumb]
The longest part of the install was removing the stock, ONE piece system, as it must be cut off just forward of the rear axle. Did it in my garage, put the car on 4 jack stands, fairly high, and had enough clearance to perform the install. Took me about 3 hours, including rotating the tires since I had it on the jack stands.
I ordered directly from MBRP:

http://mbrp.com/main.php?focus

which are on sale now.

Later,

The sound is deep, not obtrusive, sweeeeet.
I would say the sound is as per the sound clip on their site.[driving] [driving]

Later,

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmm....... MBRP.......

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Thanks RuckM [thumb]

I have the MBRP exhaust also, and installed it last Sunday. I thought about waiting until Tuesday, but didn't want to tempt the fate of numbers (get out sarcasm meter folks, I'm not on the level).

The only things I didn't like was that the MBRP rear mount seemed to use one of the tow hook locations in the rear to place the mount, and that the 2nd cat was replaced. I don't have to worry about it myself, but this could be a bad deal for people in green states. It does look like the stock pipe can be cut, and the MBRP exhaust clamped into place just before the first bend after the 2nd Cat. Another FF cut the flange, flipped the resonator pipe, and installed a cat behind the flange. I don't have emissions testing here, so it stays as it is until I get a header.

I think I recently recommended to someone, or on my FE thread, to have at least two hacksaw blades handy for the cut because due to the space constraints you only really use about 4 inches of blade, and the teeth tend to break off. I did consider purchasing a $60 Ryobi sawzall just to save pain and suffering.

The biggest unobvious difference between wagons and other Foci is the difference in the rear suspension, and that's usually where we see "For all except Wagon". Fortunately, Eibach is kind enough to make a lowering spring set for wagons with dampers. A bonus of the rear wagon suspension is that Air-Lift makes add-on load helper air springs that could be wired with a pump to the front of the car for a stealth ET reducer.

We also have a cavernous space behind the passenger side rear storage area trim panel that is large enough to support a properly sized sub box. For months now I've had the materials to work on developing a mold for a .5-.75 (don't know until I do it) epoxy/fiberglass sub box, but not the time off work to do it. I'll let you and other wagon owners know if I'm ever successful in making a mold. The filler I use is extremely strong, and I'll only press parts with woven glass to add to the strength. My past experience with fiberglass sub boxes I bought showed me that most makers don't care about box flex.

Don't hold your breath waiting on me, summer is hectic for construction workers, so it will be winter before I have time off.

Best of luck fellow wagoneer [thumb]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whynotthinkwhynot,
Sorry to disappoint you, COPY and PASTE
whynotthinkwhynot
whynotthinkwhynot
whynotthinkwhynot

You get the point.

I gave up even trying to use hacksaw, and used a hand electric cut-off saw with a metal blade; took maybe 2-3 min.

I really like the sound.

Later,

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
ruckmn said:
whynotthinkwhynot,
Sorry to disappoint you, COPY and PASTE
whynotthinkwhynot
whynotthinkwhynot
whynotthinkwhynot

You get the point.
Shhhhhhh [paranoid] that might be a secret

FocusontheFocus: I'm working on that, finances permitting [thumb]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is there any cabin drone with this system? Do you need the stereo to drown it out?

I was thinkin of going with that focusport stealth system, but I think the added weight of the resonator defeats my purpose of increasing MPG. (Although are these system much lighter than the OEM?)

Notice any increase in MPG?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
I have an ongoing thread on fuel economy in the Duratec 2.0 Forum you should check out. I totally recommend any CAI including the cheapo Stealth CAI that I have on my car for increasing fuel economy. The MBRP exhaust does help, but eliminates the 2nd cat, and it's a little too loud if you live in a zero lot line neighborhood- IMO. It does not make much more sound than stock at 2k rpm, but everywhere else it does. I think it's great for what it is, and to my knowledge FS does not make an exhaust for a wagon, however according to MBRP's rep on the phone, there's only a 9" difference after the rear wheels, so you could have a shop install the cat-back and then add pipe to make it work.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Am I retarded, or what? lol

I went to mbrp.com and I couldn't find anything for the Focus (save for a pic of a customer ride), and no sound clips of anything...let alone for the Focus. Can someone help? [8D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts