Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read on here numerous times after someone's spi inevitably drops a valve seat that swapping a zetec is cheaper and easier than getting another spi. I don't really understand that logic, I mean if you really want a Zetec by all means do it, but how is replacing your spi more expensive than having to get a Zetec engine, transmission, ecu, alternator, complete exhaust, etc. ? I'm not asking this to be a jerk, I'm just curious because when my spi eventually fails (which I hope won't be for a long time) I was thinking of just going with anther spi with a better head.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Well, really because so many of them have this problem that finding one in good condition is tough and even then if it hasn't already previously dropped a seat and been rebuilt, you could find yourself replacing the engine again. Zetecs are in mass abundance and that's really about it.

There's seriously nothing wrong with rebuilding it. It's usually just a new piston and rod on the cylinder that broke and replacing it with a good head (very preferably one that has been rebuilt to AERA specs whatever that is) then cleaning out the intake manifold and you're good to go. I could have built mine but I'd planned on another engine swap for a long time.

Just build it up to be a fun little car.... if it goes just rebuild it. Certainly much less time consuming.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that will most likely be what I'm going to do when it eventually fails- rebuilding the spi. Swapping an entire drive-train just doesn't seem worth it unless you have your heart set on it. I was just curious to why everyone keeps telling people to swap to a zetec.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've read on here numerous times after someone's spi inevitably drops a valve seat that swapping a zetec is cheaper and easier than getting another spi. I don't really understand that logic, I mean if you really want a Zetec by all means do it, but how is replacing your spi more expensive than having to get a Zetec engine, transmission, ecu, alternator, complete exhaust, etc. ? I'm not asking this to be a jerk, I'm just curious because when my spi eventually fails (which I hope won't be for a long time) I was thinking of just going with anther spi with a better head.
I'm not trying to be a dick but us guys that have had to deal with dropped valve seats in the SPI before, its a "common sense" thing among us that you arent really going to understand till it happens to you, thats why im assuming that no one has really taken the time to explain this to you.

Junkyards know how often the SPI blows up and they know they can make big money off of them when they get a wrecked Focus SPI in with a good motor. Its not like you are going to a junkyard to get an engine for Honda, engines that arent in demand so prices are fairly low. Any high failure rate part or engine on a car will be expensive at junkyards and at parts stores.

To answer your SPI to Zetec question...quite frankly the SPI is a joke when compared to the Zetec. The Zetec is smoother, more powerful, has a shitload of aftermarket support, very reliable (bulletproof is a better word), and i could keep going on and on. Zetecs are NOT in demand, every junkyard Focus I see that has a Zetec always has the engine there and it runs, the Zetec ones are always wrecked. Zetec = cheaper from junkyard. Swap? Not difficult compared to most other engine swaps. You only need a few extra parts like Zetec ECU, wire harness from ECU to fuel pump which takes like 30 mins to get out, and some other minor shit up in the engine bay i forget what exactly cuz i havent had a Focus since May.

I hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well since you're a zetec guy, why wouldn't my ib5 transmission work with a zetec? I didn't think you were being a dick, I'm just throwing around some ideas if I have to do any major work on the car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well since you're a zetec guy, why wouldn't my ib5 transmission work with a zetec? I didn't think you were being a dick, I'm just throwing around some ideas if I have to do any major work on the car.
Im not really into Focuses, period. Im into Probes and other Mazdas. I used to have a Focus SPI and i hated it. The reason I love the Zetecs in the Focuses is cuz my mom bought a Focus SE new in 2000 with the Zetec and shes beaten the shit out of it and never ever had any maintenence done on it and sometimes goes 15k miles with an oil change on shit walmart oil and the car still runs and drives. Bulletproof motors. Theres a 01 Focus SE Zetec on youtube with 341k miles and still driving.

IB5 is a completely different trans apart from the MTX75, different bell housing so it will not hook up to a Zetec. Strange thing is that the Mazda GF4A-EL (badged as the Ford F-4EAT) auto trans in the 00-04 SPI will bolt up to a Zetec.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IB5 is a completely different trans apart from the MTX75, different bell housing so it will not hook up to a Zetec. Strange thing is that the Mazda GF4A-EL (badged as the Ford F-4EAT) auto trans in the 00-04 SPI will bolt up to a Zetec.
Oh okay, I was confused because I was reading that the ATX on the SPI would bolt-up to the Zetec so I was assuming it had the same bellhousing as the ATX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts