Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15,729 Posts
They blow the money on stock buy backs on purpose, it gets the CEO more money and it keeps the company with less cash so they can claim they are too big to fail when the chance comes back like now. That is now R/capitalism strategy since the bailouts in '08. Jaime Dimon (JP Morgan) crowed about it in shareholders meeting shortly after the '08 crisis, he bragged they should do exactly the same thing in the future. Look at the Boeing actions of the lest few months as compared to them getting out quick to say they must have 60 billion+. ALL of the US airlines have done it too.

Don't get me started on Dan Patrick, if ever somebody needed to be hit by a bus......ultimate grandstander looking to catch Trump's eye for future quick rise to fame, just like Rick Perry, who did the same while being incompetent in everything he ever did. Ditto our wonderful governor. Won't move at the state level on covid to make the cities and counties do it so he can later claim they messed it up instead of him. Why R's always say the states need to do it if they are in federal positions but when they were in the state they always claimed the opposite, it then was the feds who need to do it. Look at our governor claim the feds need to fix Texas border problems not Texas. What politicians do, look up every record you can think of and you find it. You bitch about the other guy and then you look like you are doing something and it also gets you out of doing something so you cannot be blamed. Dems do it too but the R's have honed it into the finest of fighting arts.

'One reason some people won't stay at home is that the POTUS they believe-in once told them this was just a DNC hoax, among other falsehoods. Now he's saying "go back to work"... and you maintain it "has nothing to do with Mr Trump".

I see nothing wrong with that at all unless one lives in a 'truth is not truth' world.

I'm HOPING Trump actually tries to get everything going again by Easter, listening to people like Patrick will be the biggest mistake he ever makes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have made my peace with Trump. I guess I was worried about him going down in history as this super Hero businessman who "made America great again". If there is one certainty from all this mess... it is that he will now go down in history as the guy who managed to fumble the ball on the goal line. He will be fighting Bush Jr for most incompetent president ever to serve. I'm cool with that.

Now try and step up and salvage what is left of your Presidency so Busch Jr can win the race to the bottom.

·
__________/\__
2,153 Posts
I have made my peace with Trump. I guess I was worried about him going down in history as this super Hero businessman who "made America great again". If there is one certainty from all this mess... it is that he will now go down in history as the guy who managed to fumble the ball on the goal line. He will be fighting Bush Jr for most incompetent president ever to serve. I'm cool with that.

Now try and step up and salvage what is left of your Presidency so Busch Jr can win the race to the bottom.
If the administration opens the country, we could see over two million people die in the United States.

Not just old people.

The only way to curtail this virus is to stay shut down. Hong Kong serves as an example of what happens when you try to get back to work. The virus will be waiting for you.

·
Grey Friar
723 Posts
Like the ill-advised tariffs, the go-back-to-work suggestion may just be DJTs new strategy to get old people off the SSI rolls. He's brilliant that way, you know?

·
Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
not all businesses have the cash flow or profit margins to stock away money in droves like apple, amazon, google and facebook.
I'm sure we'll see a fair amount of small business go out of business during this shutdown (30 days where im at). I don't know if the loans or stimulus will be enough to save all of them.

didnt read your article, i see the title, im sure there are a number of extremely elderly wanting to go anyways and dont want to drag anyone down with them. i dont think thats the general sentiment across the country.

·
FF Affiliate
30,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks , They just locked down the county that Charlotte NC is in where the law for this lock down reads you can get tickets equal to drunk in public but the Mayor of Charlotte sais the Police wont be stopping people and she said that on public TV LOL LOL what good is it going to do if people wont stop going out as per the new lock down Laws ??? Most People are not smart enough to do it on there own thats obvious

US over 11,200 new cases and 164 deaths in the US in just today and by 12pm it will be many more

Italy and Spain over 1300 deaths in one day from this and over 2100 deaths world wide in one day

Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
imho, this virus will rip through the same amount of people it would normally. the biggest issue is going to be not overloading out health system to save as many lives as we can

·
Registered
19 Posts
Because society ceases to function if everybody stays home? Because the risk of sitting at home greatly outweighs the risk of the big bad scary Wuhan flu, even as presented by the breathless media?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Why don't you go ask Spain why they're having to use a ice skating rink for a temporary place to put the dead bodies.

Why don't you ask Bellevue hospital in New York why they are having to use refrigeration trucks as a temporary morgue. This virus hits hard and dead bodies drop very fast.

Sorry money it is not worth massive loss of life it's not.
If people were smart like Tom they would have put money away for a rainy day.

Also this virus is not a flu it is not influenza.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
So mote be it
8,889 Posts
If people would stay home for the next 30 day this would be over
I'm with you on this one, I dont normally like my state's politicians but our Governor has been making some good (tough) decisions that i see as being for the good of the people. We have a real good head doctor in charge and they are working together. THey started limited us earlier than other states. Although i read an article that quoted said head doctor that she thinks Ohio will peak when we have 6000 new cases a day...we've only had less than 900 total confirmed cases. So I can really see why they want us to slow this down as much as possible
What I posted has nothing to do Mr Trump and more to do with people needing to stay home to curb this Virus
What does worry me is when he tells people he wants them back at work by Easter, not 30 days. I dont see this virus settling down by then or even 30 days past Easter. He's not the only decision maker though, each state will take in their own considerations telling people when they can go back to work or removing restrictions. Same for everyone running a business; they need to weigh the costs if they tell their employees to come back to work and if they all get sick or worse.

One thing is this has changed everything. I'm lukcy i am able to do my job remotely and looks like ill be doing so for the foreseeable future. THose that cant work, i just hope they can hang on and not lose everything

·
Grey Friar
723 Posts
The 2-trillion dollar fiat-money package will help a little. But simply waiting for enough people to die, while waiting for a "cure" (vaccine or universally effective treatment) won't be enough to stop US from becoming an international pariah-nation, like Italy and others. We will not be able to control the spread of this (reasons stated earlier), and after China has finished conquering the spread of it, the world may turn to them for even more things than they do now. If it weren't for China's horrendous pollution problems (water and air) and wrecked environment (lack of natural areas having few people in them), and their government control of information, you can bet that all of our banking sociopaths and Wall Street goons would flock there to live and work (not just a spare condo in Hong Kong). Removing the dollar as the base-currency for international trade could be the next step... then we slide toward being like England, a former empire, now struggling to stay relevant. Time to trim our sails... like, pull out of fighting everybody in the Middle East, and take care of things at home.

I'd like to see our lawmakers be more clever than they were during the last bailout, make the companies who receive money DO something for it. I'd like to see them make airplane companies, like Boeing, do something like retrofit all their aircraft with virus-grade recirculating filters in order to receive stimulus money (or some actual science-based improvements). I'd like to see airlines be made to change the way they do business, like maybe make airlines fly with half-full, staggered seat assignments (no one in front, or behind, or right next to you) AND test everybody before they board. I don't hold out much hope of that, after seeing how they handled the bank bailout, and how they are proceeding so far. Looks like just a lot of free money to help crush the treasury under the weight of unrepayable debt... too much outgo, and after the latest corporate tax break, not nearly enough income.

·
__________/\__
2,153 Posts
maybe make airlines fly with half-full, staggered seat assignments (no one in front, or behind, or right next to you) AND test everybody before they board.
There is no way to test people. Asymptomatic transmission was discounted at first but is now thought to be the primary vector of transmission. Taking temperatures is useless. Flying on a commercial airliner is insane. New research from the University of Nebraska just released indicates SARS-COV 2 may be airborne even in the absence of coughing or sneezing. Simply talking or breathing may release virus into the air and hang there for some time:

"a recent study of SARS-CoV-2 in aerosol and deposited on surfaces, indicates infectious aerosol
may persist for several hours and on surfaces for as long as 2 days "

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you follow the science, you might have a different view.
It is very hard to take people that talk about "science" in the abstract, as if it is some book of secrets and not merely mankind's best current explanation, seriously. This tends to be shorthand for admitting to a lack of critical thought.
Why don't you go ask Spain why they're having to use a ice skating rink for a temporary place to put the dead bodies.
Actually, I chose to read beyond the headline...
Morgues have been stretched after the municipal funeral service in Madrid said at the start of the week it would stop collecting the bodies of coronavirus victims due to its workers not having enough protective gear.
Well yeah, if the town stops collecting bodies, you have to put them somewhere. This is a sign of paranoia and mass hysteria, not oogah-boogah huge death count. How many corpses are in this morgue? One? Two? Ten? If they stopped collecting the dead from any other cause, would the result be any different?

Why don't you ask Bellevue hospital in New York why they are having to use refrigeration trucks as a temporary morgue.
Again, read beyond the headline. Sensationalism is a thing.
Oh for God's sake, it's in the first sentence:
NEW YORK — Giant tents and big refrigerated trucks have been set up outside Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan to accommodate thousands of dead bodies in case the coronavirus overwhelms the city’s morgue system.
Yeah, you talk of them being used. They are not being used yet. This is wasteful governmental officials grandstanding on the taxpayer's dime so they look important and hopefully get a bigger budget next year. But here's another line from the article:
So far, the morgues aren’t close to hitting that capacity, she said. But as the coronavirus death toll rises, city officials are preparing for the worst.
Anyone blind to the deadly risks of essentially shutting down civilization and people's livelihoods is an utter fool. And this breathless "just wait, everybody dies real fast, real soon" doomsaying just isn't playing out anywhere. It's hype.

On a personal note, I took two flights last week. I've been at the workplace regularly since. I live in scary New Jersey.

·
Registered
874 Posts
It is very hard to take people that talk about "science" in the abstract, as if it is some book of secrets and not merely mankind's best current explanation, seriously. This tends to be shorthand for admitting to a lack of critical thought.

Actually, I chose to read beyond the headline...

Well yeah, if the town stops collecting bodies, you have to put them somewhere. This is a sign of paranoia and mass hysteria, not oogah-boogah huge death count. How many corpses are in this morgue? One? Two? Ten? If they stopped collecting the dead from any other cause, would the effect be any different?
My Wife is a registered nurse case manager my mom also works in healthcare. My Wife has a nursing license for every state in the country because her job requires it for her position. Who do you think I'm going to believe? My wife who is incredibly intelligent and gifted at her job, or some random dude on the internet who doesn't understand the severity of this problem. This shit is real.

You are part of the problem.
I hope you or anyone you care about is not harmed by this virus.

Are you a medical professional I'm going to guess and say no.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I put life over money. My loved ones are everything to me.

When this is over we can talk about who was right.

·
__________/\__
2,153 Posts
My Wife is a registered nurse case manager my mom also works in healthcare. My Wife has a nursing license for every state in the country because her job requires it for her position. Who do you think I'm going to believe? My wife who is incredibly intelligent and gifted at her job, or some random dude on the internet who doesn't understand the severity of this problem. This shit is real.

You are part of the problem.
I hope you or anyone you care about is not harmed by this virus.

Are you a medical professional I'm going to guess and say no.

The arrogant, almost flippant attitude of some folks saddens me. Walk inside one of the hospitals and watch somebody gasping for their last breath.

My wife is also a nurse, my sister is a doctor.

Stay safe and take good care of your wife.

·
Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
If people were smart like Tom they would have put money away for a rainy day.
when was the last time you lived paycheck to paycheck? do you not think that businesses may be in the same situation?

·
Registered
874 Posts
when was the last time you lived paycheck to paycheck? do you not think that businesses may be in the same situation?
I learned my lesson from 2009 after seeing my parents get hit hard, I promised myself to never live that way. I have yet to break that promise to myself. How many people buy a home or vehicle they don't need? How many people go out to eat when they should have ate at home? How many people went to a pricey grocery store instead of a place like Aldi's for example.
How many people went on a vacation they couldn't afford?
Don't do the paycheck to paycheck thing with me most people put themselves in that situation with stupid decisions, because they believe they deserve things they can't afford.

My point is most people don't have financial discipline you give them more money they spend more money. I agree many businesses don't have the extra money but if a business can't put enough money away to make one month of rent probably not a good business to begin with. Sorry but it's true. I will give a example a ice cream shop was opened up in the city I work in. I knew it was going to fail from day one. I like ice cream but a ice cream shop is a terrible business idea 99% of the time.

I will never understand why people get so bent out of shape because others have serious financial discipline. I would recommend listening to Dave Ramsey, or anybody on his team.

You will not make me feel guilty / bad because I made smart decisions. My Wife also made smart decisions.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts