Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2002 Ford Focus ZX3. A few weeks ago, I went to start the car, and the ignition wouldn't turn. It wouldn't even try.

I called AAA, and the battery was fine, and we managed to jump the car.

This has happened quite a bit since then, and I noticed the car ALWAYS starts early in the mornings, and has trouble later in the afternoons (when it's hotter), and has trouble starting if I have just driven it and shut it off.

The car has no problem push starting.

What could this be?

·
Hiyadoin'
1,640 Posts
I'd say battery cables have worn out since you can push start it. I'd replace the cables and clamps, and the battery if you have the budget.

good luck!

·
Registered
278 Posts
i agree with the last post, may i also suggest that maybe ur crank sensor is going bad

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you guys think it's the battery cables? I will check that out.

Any idea on why it starts when it's cold out, but not when it's hot? Does the current flow better in the cold?

·
Hiyadoin'
1,640 Posts
I don't know that... but i remember having similar symptoms with one of my cars. drove around town just fine, parked in the street... got back to the car 15 minutes later and it wouldn't start. had to push start it myself from a curb side parking space on Telegraph ave in Berkeley (a very busy street). I got it going just fast enough to turn over.

That was not fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts