Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why???????? i mean i like the svt what wrong wit it... i think (SVT) [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up..........they should keep makin more Focus SVT.......well thats my opinion? what ya think?

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think that when the duratec came out they had to rework the drive train and it would of been a 5speed b/c there was not a 6speed available at the time. And they were in the process of retooling Svt so there was no time to make the new model, they had 100% of thier peeps working around the clock on the shelby cobra and the new lightning(which they scrapped!) and there was no time for a new focus. remember its not a mustang and no product gets in the way of stangs production schedule, not even the lightningso now you have half the stary and my personal opinion. If there is another svt focus in the works I would be thuroughly surprised, but we can always dream cant we?[?|] [mad] [thumb]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
yes but it would be a really good wet dream. i love the focus svt ford just doesn't want to help us out. seriously if the market was bigger they would do it, but i don't think it is!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
The plain fact of the matter is that the SVTF didn't sell that well for some reason, at least not to Ford's expectation anyway so when they changed the Focus they dropped it from the SVT line.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Because SVTF's are slooooow [:0]

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
well.. they need to bring it back...lol... i know it wont happen.. but still..... by the time im ready to get another focus, i want an svt.. maybe... and finding a nice one in 4 years will be hard...

·
Registered
456 Posts
They know if they were to make a new one it would have at least 200hp to be any comp for the new imports, and that would mean it could beat the lx stang and they wont have that. The world of the blue oval revolves around the stangs and the fseries trucks, imagine a stock focus with 200hp then add a turbo or a super and well see my point? Then put a price on it and you would see the stang lx prices drop, and that in ford's eyes is a big no no.[mad] [bash] [?|] [boxface] [chair] [nutkick] [target] [spank] [scream]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Been awhile since I commented. But, in response to Last Rites comment about svtf's being slooooow...I have a stock svtf and I don't think that it's all that slow. In fact, when I get on it, it'll pretty much get out of its own way. If we're talking numbers: 15.14 secs thru the 1/4 mi. (according to Focus Fanatic Mag), or 15.4 secs (most other mags), than that's not all that much slower than the new civic si. In fact, it would be pretty much a drivers race. Also, take into consideration that when the svtf was first introduced, it instantly became the 'it' car of hot-hatches. These days, technology advances at an alarming rate. So, when SC's started coming out of the factories equipped with FI, for whatever reason, Ford decided to keep the svtf naturally aspirated. However, I do know that several dealerships around my neck of the woods will install the Jackson Racing Super Charger Kit (with the BBK as an option). And, from what I've read, an svtf with the JRSC (w/BBK) will move the svtf thru the 1/4 mi in about 14 secs or better. For those not heavily into stoplight or drag racing, a full second or second and a half improvement is terrific!

So, I think that the competition started upping the ante, and Ford dropped the ball. Read any article from a credited car mag and you'll find an overwhelming respect for the svtf. I think a version of it with FI would have definitely seen the number of units sold improve.

So, yea, I wish they didn't discontinue the svtf. I'm glad I got mine when I did, tho' I would've preferred it to be FI right out of the gate. Still, the chassis on this car is great, as is the gearbox (despite that some tranny's exhibit early wear, I've put 48,000+ miles on mine, and no problems), and it's a great platform to start mod'ing.

My 2 cents worth anyway. I truly hope Ford does reincarnate the svtf, tho' it looks unlikely as of yet. =(

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
^^Unlikely is right. It't not that the SVT wasn't an excellent car, (pretty much) everybody who has one will attest to that, but it was a car for enthusiasts in an odd niche. The general public wasn't ready for an edgy Focus at a $20,000+ premium. If I had to guess, logic went something like this:

Want a fast Honda, buy an SI.
A fast Toyota, a Celica.
A fast Dodge, an SRT-4
A Fast Ford, a Mustang. ....wait a second...

We dont have a customer base looking to buy what SVT was selling, we have a mid-level performance (or "performance", depending on who you ask) entry that already has the loyalty buyers. So, the people they were selling to were poeple who'd buy a Ford over the domestic and imported Sport competition, but who didn't want to spend an extra couple grand on a Mustang. To me this helps explain why they sold so few.

At the end of the day, the profit margins were too small, the volume sold was too small, and as I understand it, warranty claims ate up whatever profit they made. It simply was not a money making project, and Ford can't afford cars that are losing them money at this point.

Tough luck for us. When they get their feet back under them, maybe we'll see a good MkIII Focus ST in 2009-2010. I'm banking on my next sport compact being from a competitor tho.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe we will see a better high performance focus in the next generation. They will have to do something to compete with the new Honda, after all thats why they built the SVTf to compete with the si.They did a good job in 02,an 02 SVT is way better than an 02 si so maybe it will beat it again.We can only hope.

[thumb]

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Put it simply, costs to produce, and not enough buyers.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
They already have one...MAZDASPEED 3
All they have to do is re-badge and call it a day [thumb]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Uhmm...I know they COULD rebadge a mazdazpeed3, but I'm not a real fan of its exterior look. I know this may sound weird, but what attracted me first to the focus is what attracts me still: Euro-styling. A next gen svtf should at least have some of its pedigree showing.

The mazdaspeed is certainly a nice looking car, but definitely not Euro. I know, I know...I'm weird! =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts