Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I replaced my 18's with 17's I feel EVERY bump. Feels like my struts/shocks are gone! I only have 4,000 miles on the car. Did I mess up something? I do have drop springs on the car but it never dropped the car even a centimeter. I am sure you all remember me bitching about that.

What should I do? Anyone recommend any good struts/springs? Quality coilovers?

Also, is it bad to have coilovers on your ride in the winter? Should you always go back to your stock suspension in the winter months?

·
Registered
845 Posts
aahhh..Disturbed, you took the rally look away! I swear that's what Ford was going for with this stock suspension..lol.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The H&R kit on Focussport.com seems like a nice package. $650 though is a little high, I'll have to ask for dealer pricing on that. Includes the springs, shocks and struts. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
476 Posts
The H&R kit is definately nice. Only problem is, it's really low. And living in New England like we do, that might not seem like the best option. It does include everything.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
h&r cup kit oWNz!!! heh heh. [wave]

as for the 18's/17's difference, think about your sidewall. i think you were running 215/45's on the 17's, correct? and now running 215/35's on the 18's? big difference in sidewall, so the tire is going to be a lot stiffer, and you'll feel more of the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thought he said he went from 18s to 17s, prolly a mistype?

Another factor is tire quality, if you went from a high end tire to something on the low end of the scale then you'll notice a difference as well.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made the change because I simply thought that the rims were too bulky and they weighed too much. 17's just look better on the focus in my opinion. As for the quality of the tires.. I went from Nitto to Proxies... so I gained a little quality. The 17" tires retail about $200 each and the 18's retailed at $550 total.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Umm you have lowering springs that didn't lower your car. Interesting.

You changed from 18's to 17's and ride quality decreased. Very interesting.

First off changing from stock suspension to an aftermarket one is not for everyone. I have had to return customers vehicles to stock b/c the $ 1000+ coilovers they bought were unbearable on the street.

Do it right with quality parts. If you are only going for looks then ride quality will be horrible, 17's + H&R cup kit in a daily driver in NH may not be a smart idea, especially come winter time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Focaltech.. I got the shitty dropzone spring for one. As you can see in previous pictures, there was no drop. I have been on the phone will Carlos from Dropzone several times. He said to wait for the springs to settle. I have waited three months now! Nothing has happened. It's all good, they basically take the place of the stock springs since there was no drop AT ALL. I just feel more of a bump now when I hit bumps.. in the back end of the car. Also, if I get the H&R kit I wouldn't drive the car in winter. Do you still think it is a bad idea even to do it in the summer in NH? I had the touring Wings West kit on my Vdub and I killed the kit from the NH roads!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Saying that the springs will 'settle' is a bullshit, get you off the phone thing to say. Don't believe it. If your springs flex, relax, or in other words 'settle' in 3 months, what do you think they would look like in 3 years? He's feeding you a bunch of crap. The only reason why people say they think the ride got better and the springs must have 'settled' is because they have gotten familiar with the way it rides. The actual way that it rides won't change, you will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts