Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright heres the deal. i had an 00 focus and wrecked it. now i have an 01 zx3 and i really want to mod it. just some small stuff, tb, intake, and exhaust. i figure that'll make it feel like a whole new car. but i still have to get around my dad. hes afraid that if i install a tb and intake, then i run the risk of ruining the engine? is this true? i need some ammo to fight back. also i have a fc tb, and had an intake but sold it. now i want to get another intake. is there any cheap intakes i can get? just how difficult is it to make my own? thanks.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I dunno about anyone else, but I've never heard of those mods ruining an engine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't see how those mods could do any harm to the motor. A new throttle body and intake will give a slight increase in air to the engine. The stock Mass Airflow sensor will notice this and make the adjustment to the amount of fuel your engine will recieve to keep the air-fuel ratio correct. So you won't run lean, meaning your engine temps should not increase. The power increase that you would see would be so minimal that it wouldn't cause any problems to the other stock components of the engine. The only thing you may see is a slight decrease in fuel economy if any at all. And your engine may be a little louder. But these mods definitely shouldn't do any harm to the motor.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Besides, assuming that you might still have a warranty, everything is still covered so long as the mod didn't cause the problem.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
tell him that things that improve airflow outside of the cylinder head really make the engine more efficient. explain to him that colder air is more dense so there is more oxygen and u get better combustion. things like that might help talk your way into it. if your worried about ruining ur engine just dont get a long tube intake or an intake that replaces the maf housing. good cheap intake is the mac short ram. and intake and a tb will make ur car feel the most different from stock for the least amount of cash.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i add intake, tb and exhaust how much gains will i see? if i add an intake how do i avoid sucking in water? what exactly is the maf housing? thanks.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
1: bout 6-8whp

2: for aem or bomz, by-pass valve. for all other cold airs on the market. you don't have to worry hydrolock

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most people who have never been "into" cars feel intimidated by the prospect of modifications. It is resonable to feel that way as cars are very expensive and complex machines. It may help to ease you fathers concerns if you show him that that you want to use products that have been designed by companies with solid reputations and that the products have CARB exemption which shows that they were designed and tested to work properly on your Focus. If all else fails offer to have the parts installed by a reputable shop. I'm sure in your dad's day he had buddies that got all crazy with their cars and had no idea how to tune the carb properly, for example if you modify the intake on a carb'd car you need to re-jet and tweak the thing to run right. Or maybey they jacked the timing around holed a piston. Just try take a look at it from his side and then show him you want to do it right.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
teh FC intake you had would have been a decent start

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Word Infra3sv.......
you're first mod should be some eibach pro kit........make your father ride the car..............install the eibach......make him ride it again............a whole new secure car...trust me.............

As far as the internal engine components getting ruined does not apply here with only a TB or Exhaust........besides Forums like FocusFanatics are a huge source of information for anyone trying to mod a car...................Make your Dad sit at the computer and look at all the threads and info on the site.........guaranty he'll change his mind..........I hope so..........

Peace......

·
Registered
793 Posts
rockthezx3 said:
I dunno about anyone else, but I've never heard of those mods ruining an engine.
I agree if you install properly I dont really see how those could damage your engine, just dont drive like an idiot and you'll be fine

·
Registered
25,624 Posts
One of the great things about the zetec, a brand new motor from ford is only $2,600.. So mod and be happy, if you get the enjoyment out of the mods, then it is worth it,

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if these mods are so cheap, basic, and give decent gains, why don't they put them on every car? i mean it can't be a cost factor they could turn them over real cheap, so why doesn't ford do this to the focus before we get it? thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go for the intake, TB, and exhaust- it definitly wont't hurt the engine- i have the AEM cold air- without the by-pass on and i havent had a problem with it- and my exhuast is HKS- i dont have the TB yet- I have to friends that have the FC tb as well as the AEm intake and they say the response is so much better- as well as the HP gains- i will be taking mine out for a dyno test tomorrow after i install my SAFC and i will share the results soon- but yeah tell ur dad that the basics mods actually help ur car more then hurt it-- GOOD LUCK with it...

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
ILLINI zx3 said:
I don't see how those mods could do any harm to the motor. A new throttle body and intake will give a slight increase in air to the engine. The stock Mass Airflow sensor will notice this and make the adjustment to the amount of fuel your engine will recieve to keep the air-fuel ratio correct. So you won't run lean, meaning your engine temps should not increase. The power increase that you would see would be so minimal that it wouldn't cause any problems to the other stock components of the engine. The only thing you may see is a slight decrease in fuel economy if any at all. And your engine may be a little louder. But these mods definitely shouldn't do any harm to the motor.
can you have any damn bigger of an sig? mind shrinkin that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts