Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not stage 2 cams? Do you have to buy the Ford Racing head in order for them to work properly? Is the FR head even worth the $800? Also, which cam gears would you rather buy: Focus Central or Esslinger(Ford Racing)?

·
Registered
341 Posts
though, they'll pull very well in a stock head. i know cats who have 150/150 or 145/150 w/stage 2s thru stock head. hold off on the head, finish other things. which ever sprocket set is cheaper.
www.mcnewsautomotive.com , get it all there

-Ult

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, but why does everyone say to get stage 1's? What is wrong with the 2's? Wouldn't they technically be better and give you more hp? Also, you're just saying that the FC cam gears are just as good as esslinger even though the esslinger retard more degrees? Also, it is a Ford Racing product and they are usually very good. But if that is the case then I will save some money and get the FC's.

·
Registered
341 Posts
a good amt of adj capability is fine....2s are great too, that 1 guy was gettin suggestion of 1s b/c he wants a blower down the road, thats all.

-Ult

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
yeh 2s are for mild all motor applications, and 3s are for somewhat extreme all motor applications, and yes ones are better for boost

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, well is there a big difference performance wise between the two? What would be more drivable? B/c I want to keep it a daily driver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One reason to get stage 2: If you know any body who races cars, they will make fun of you if you get stage 1.
I have stage 2 cams. They help out a lot on high end horsepower. Stage 2's are fine if you want to go with a supercharger, but nothing above that. I recommend stage 2.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
like i said above, if your staying NA id get stg3, though not the most drivable they will give good NA power, and stg1 if you wanna boost, (though most ppl use stock cams on high boost), and stg2 is good for a MILD motor application, who makes fun of guys w/ stg1s? why would you do that when they are probably boosting or going to and will outrun your stg2s rear?

·
Registered
341 Posts
excuse me....i make as much power thru a stock head/header/orp as many crower 2 guys w/a race header with my stage 1s....so i think i'm gonna do the laughin. post smart man.

-Ult

·
Registered
717 Posts
If I may suggest, rather than getting different opinions from people on the message boards, take Ford Racing's advice, see the product descriptions(below & on myFordPerformance.com) or call the Ford Racing Tech HotLine at (568)468-1356.

As far as the adjustable cam sprockets go. Build quality is probably more important than the degrees of timing, there's not much chance you need to go out +/- 12 degrees on a street Focus. Ford Racing's adj. cam gears are re-badged Esslingers. Focus Centrals are pretty good as well.

Stage 1 (Street Performance Camshafts):
  • Good low-end power, strong mid-range.
  • Automatic or manual transmission.
  • For maximum HP and RPM use low restriction afermarket air intake and header with free-flow exhaust.
  • Extract hidden HP and torque with Ford Racing adjustable cam sprockets.
  • RPM range idle to 6,500 rpms.

Stage 2 (Street/Track Performance Camshafts):
  • Stout Street/Track profile.
  • Manual transmission with headers and free-flow exhaust.
  • Extract hidden HP and torque with Ford Racing adjustable cam sprockets.
  • RPM range 2,000 to 7,000 rpms.

Stage 3 (Street/Strip Performance Camshafts):
  • Radical Street/Strip profile.
  • Manual transmission with headers, CNC ported head with port matched intake.
  • Increased compression recommended: 10.5:1 - 12.0:1
  • Excellent power naturally aspirated PLUS super nitrous cam or with supercharger.
  • RPM range 3,000 to 8,000 rpms.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, since I want it to be drivable and I want to stay N/A with maybe some nitrous down the road (not sure on that yet), I guess I'll be happy with the stage 2's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got a question about the adj cam gears.. Lets say you tune it on the dyno so that you have it adjusted to make the max amount of power. Does it still idle fine at this point? How about low rpm response and power? Basically, what do you give up by adjusting your cam timing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts