Focus Fanatics Forum banner

why not coilovers???!!!

592 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  eurotrashvrt
ok im wanting to get the coilover package to go with my 2 inch lowering springs..but all im hearing is no coilovers!! no coilovers!! but with no excuses why can someone please give me some info as to why not ! thanks . [?|] [bootyshak
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8,853 Posts
Simply put, you'd be spending over $1000 (plus install) for your suspension. If you're not racing your car for money or have sponsors that will pay for part/all of the costs its not worth it. Plus, with the general condition of the roads in the US you'd wear the coilovers out in short order and have to buy a new suspension system all over again.

If you're hell bent on it, go for it...its your money. But IMO you'd be better off with something more down to earth.

· Registered
4,615 Posts
coilovers are great, but only if you have Autobahn quality roads, and lots of twisties, or you plan on racing.

otherwise, I think it would be a mistake. I had a set of Koni's on my first Focus, a 2001, and they sucked ass, especially on the roads where I live. Wore them out in about a year, (and traded it in to the dealer, heh). Ride quality sucked, but damn did that thing handle.

go for some springs/struts, andyou'll get a decent drop, good handling, good ride.

· Registered
8,021 Posts
First the Focus front shocks are coilovers. They're just not a height adjustable coilover. Its unlikely your aftermarket springs will work with an (height) adjustable coil over shock. Most come with a specific spring. In reality, i doubt you can find a focus specific height adjustable coilover shock without the springs anyway. Most springs for coilovers are designed specifically for the shock to be used and have either a 2.25 or 2.5 inch inside diameter. Most after markert lowering springs have a much bigger diameter and are unlikely to fit a shock with an adjustable spring perch. The spring will also have a special base design to fit the adjustable spring mount/perch. To do this right you need to buy a full coilover set that will include the correct springs. There are very few kits that convert the rear to a true adjustable coilover as well. Some just replace the rear spring seat with a threaded seat.

· Registered
1,436 Posts
^^^Just to let you know, the focus front struts aren't coilovers, they're MacPherson struts. Which means a coil spring that sits on a shock that has a seat on the body, and there's no upper control arm. All coilovers have a way smaller spring than a coil spring as well. Overall, coilovers are just way expensive and like everyone else said, NOT WORTH IT. Unless your planning on racing, or rallying, or autocrossing...u get the picture.

· Registered
495 Posts
First mod to my svt was coilovers. Oh my i just took out my svt suspension, what a drag. No, then again where I live i have twisties like no other. I do autocross the car and plan on tracking the car for road course events. Why coilovers, stiffer springs and matched strut setup. Read up on suspension, in the new SCC mag, they give a better understanding on basics of coilovers. Or just look online somewhere. HR were 900 and rear sway 150. Look for sales.

But then again like everyone said if your not gonna do anything with your car, dont get them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.