Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mpg hasn't been what i thought it would be. I've made the same 215 mile trip a few times. Each time I get 33-35 mpg. Is there a reason y i can't get up to 37 mpg or more. I drive at about 72 to 80 mph. Most of the time i have more than one person in the car but the last time it was just me and I got a little under 35 mpg.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any time the RPM's stay above 2,500 the gas milage will be sub 36ish. keep the speed's down under 70mph and you will get 38mpg at 60mph you will get close to the 40mpg. Best tank I have had so far was 39.51mpg with no speeds above 70mph and a little hyper milage action going on as well.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Agree the 70mph is tough on mpgs.
The ONE way you could get it would be tailgating or running in a pack of cars.
Now if ffolks would agree to carefully tailgate and had the front person clear to slow down slowly if any issues were way off then it could be done? (naturally NOT legally)
But lining up behind a 18 wheeler and if they are going 70+ and you want to go 70+ well?

My best mileage is at 47mpg or less. and up to 55 is OK, but faster and the mpgs' just go down the drain IF you are not somehow drafting, either from behind or in front.
And since all that is dangerous and mostly illegal....

Though running 70mph with a 15mph tailwind would be pretty good....

Some folks love to tailgate and do so nearly 100% of the time... So i would guess they would really be good at hypermiling tactics...
I used to dispise tailgaters, but now i tell myself they are helping me get better gas mileage

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
In my opinion saving a few tenths of a mile per gallon with the SUV riding my bumper isn't worth it to me if something goes wrong. I'll take the crappier mileage for the peace of mind that I won't die if I slam on the brakes.

·
Registered
788 Posts
...Some folks love to tailgate and do so nearly 100% of the time... So i would guess they would really be good at hypermiling tactics...
I used to dispise tailgaters, but now i tell myself they are helping me get better gas mileage
That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Before you try to defend your statement with your perceived expertise, let me qualify why I think it's undefendible. I have been in the transportation business for 20+ years and in my current position in mass transit for over 15 years. I've been trained in the Smith System of defensive driving and several internal agency defensive driving courses. I currently supervise and assist in the training of transit bus operators in safe driving skills. The majority of people who tailgate have never heard the term hyper-milling. Among other reasons, they tailgate because they're impatient, drive fast all the time and think you are in their way, or just don't realize what they're doing because they aren't paying attention. Rear end collisions occur because driver's are distracted, aren't paying attention, or they don't give themselves enough time to react to events happening in front of them. You can only go as fast as the vehicle in front of you and as feta_mgp stated, it's not worth the small increase in mpg's to place yourself into a situation you don't have control over. I generally drive 5 mph over the limit, so I'm not causing the slowdown in the center or right lane, but when I'm being tailgated, I move over when I can or slow down so the person behind me will pass me, let them do their hyper-milling behind someone else. If they want to flip me off, that's fine. I control my vehicle, I can't control the others on the road.

·
BEWST AGAIN YAY!!!!!
6,851 Posts
You also have to remember that most MPG estimates are at 55mph not the everyday speeds that we all drive. But yes keep the rpms below 2,500 adn you should see an increase in MPG's.

·
GoKart and Me!!!
13,487 Posts
My mpg hasn't been what i thought it would be. I've made the same 215 mile trip a few times. Each time I get 33-35 mpg. Is there a reason y i can't get up to 37 mpg or more. I drive at about 72 to 80 mph. Most of the time i have more than one person in the car but the last time it was just me and I got a little under 35 mpg.
Try reducing your speed to 65-70mph and use cruise. This is what I do for optimal gas mileage. Drafting other cars or trucks will help, but you don't have to tailgate in order to benefit from it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would try adding in some Marvel Mystery Oil to your fuel at each fill-up. Probably 4 ounces will suffice if you're putting in 10 gallons or so each time.
I typically gain 1-2 MPG using MMO compared to not using it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In my opinion saving a few tenths of a mile per gallon with the SUV riding my bumper isn't worth it to me if something goes wrong. I'll take the crappier mileage for the peace of mind that I won't die if I slam on the brakes.
I have SUVs riding my bumper if I am going 75mph (65 mph zone) on my normal work commute. You simply cannot go fast enough for some people. When I lock the speed control at 60 - 65 mph on the way to work, they get upset quickly and swerve to pass.

George Carlin said it best, "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

·
Registered
968 Posts
Any time the RPM's stay above 2,500 the gas milage will be sub 36ish. keep the speed's down under 70mph and you will get 38mpg at 60mph you will get close to the 40mpg. Best tank I have had so far was 39.51mpg with no speeds above 70mph and a little hyper milage action going on as well.
I see better than 40mpg when I set my cruise control to 60mph... and it goes down the faster I go.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I get 42-44 mpg at 45mph, 34-36 mpg at 55 mph. 32 mpg at 60-65mph.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have SUVs riding my bumper if I am going 75mph (65 mph zone) on my normal work commute. You simply cannot go fast enough for some people. When I lock the speed control at 60 - 65 mph on the way to work, they get upset quickly and swerve to pass.

George Carlin said it best, "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"
Ha! No doubt about it! It kind of sucks for me here in FL because i95 and the Turnpike are both 70mph speed limits... so when driving on those roads I do atleast the speed limit, but it keeps me from getting peak mpg out of the Focus.

But that quote is great, and so true!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
""Before you try to defend your statement with your perceived expertise, let me qualify why I think it's undefendible""
??defend what? I do not DO this, I wrote that some folks do it ,,, What is to defend? I think they are idiots. In the same post I wrote I used to despise tailgaters.. Personally I stay way back, always.. I leave the one car length for every ten miles per hour. really! [bootyshak
...and only now have the luxury of accepting that they help with mpgs.
I would prefer to shoot them dead, but generally that has bad consequences.. [goofydrunk]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Rule of thumb is 2 seconds between you, at 70 miles an hour, 7 carlengths is NOT 2 seconds. Hell, it's not even 1.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You also have to remember that most MPG estimates are at 55mph not the everyday speeds that we all drive. But yes keep the rpms below 2,500 adn you should see an increase in MPG's.
Correct. The EPA rates "highway" miles at the highway speed of 55...so at 55 and at around 2000rpm is 'when you should see the best fuel mileage'.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Rule of thumb is 2 seconds between you, at 70 miles an hour, 7 carlengths is NOT 2 seconds. Hell, it's not even 1.
Tell that to the folks who are driving at 70 and are twenty feet behind you...

And I do not drive at 70 anyway. I used to drive at 85.. now i go 55 or 52 or 47 if i can get away with it
Even in the 65 areas.. i go 55 period. [screwy]
I am antisocial, and passive aggressive, so I do this to get back at a society which has marginalised me. LOL!! [B)]

ROFLMAO

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Try reducing your speed to 65-70mph and use cruise. This is what I do for optimal gas mileage. Drafting other cars or trucks will help, but you don't have to tailgate in order to benefit from it.
EXACTLY... For someone to say drafting doesnt give you better gas mileage I will gladly tell my dad to get in his raptor and ill follow closely behind. Averaged 43mpg at 75mph in the 2008 focus SE (2.5" focussport stealth and gapped plugs Max a/c setting to Philly from Bel Air Maryland) As soon as I got out of his draft my MPG Bars went to 3 instead of 5 and my gas mileage started creeping back down to 35.

So you guys can think what you want but now when I drive highway I look for a lane with cars before I switch lanes almost like its a game. Which path will give me the best MPG.

Cant wait to break in this 2012 and see what kind of crazy mpg number it will pull doing the same method as I did with my 2008.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Ha! No doubt about it! It kind of sucks for me here in FL because i95 and the Turnpike are both 70mph speed limits... so when driving on those roads I do atleast the speed limit, but it keeps me from getting peak mpg out of the Focus.

But that quote is great, and so true!
Most of the autobahn has a 130kph (82mph) speed limit, luckily It's usually 3-4 lanes wide and I can cruise at 100kph (62mph) if I want to. Or, if I hit an unrestricted stretch, I can take it up to the 193kph (120mph) speed limiter!

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
418 Posts
EXACTLY... For someone to say drafting doesnt give you better gas mileage I will gladly tell my dad to get in his raptor and ill follow closely behind. Averaged 43mpg at 75mph in the 2008 focus SE (2.5" focussport stealth and gapped plugs Max a/c setting to Philly from Bel Air Maryland) As soon as I got out of his draft my MPG Bars went to 3 instead of 5 and my gas mileage started creeping back down to 35.

So you guys can think what you want but now when I drive highway I look for a lane with cars before I switch lanes almost like its a game. Which path will give me the best MPG.

Cant wait to break in this 2012 and see what kind of crazy mpg number it will pull doing the same method as I did with my 2008.
Hi,
What is the standard plug gap ?
You mention that you have overgapped by .1 i believe, Is that .1 mm over.
What is your reasoning for overgapping ?

I've also overgapped on my Opel Turbo with +ve results.
I don't understand the reasoning, could you explain.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I get 42-44 mpg at 45mph, 34-36 mpg at 55 mph. 32 mpg at 60-65mph.
Sounds like you are in "S", I haved noted that often the trans will not choose to use 6th on the freeway even with cruise set at speeds below 70mph. Using D on the interstate instead of S for me bumped mileage up signicantly for the period i assumed the trans shift logic was a bit brighter.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts