Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many bolts does the crankshaft have?
what kind of intake manifolds are available?
what kind of camshafts can we swap?
are there any upgrades for oil? (oil jets, higher pressure rocker arms, higher output pump)
are there any superchargers?
are there any aftermarket heads or heads available to make better power?
can i upgrade the valves to stainless steel?
can i get oversized valves?
forged pistons, rods, cranks?
any suspension mods? tubular parts? lightweight engine cradles?
exhaust is talked about but I dont recall hearing much discussion on LONG TUBE HEADERS specifically
different types of tires? raod racing? drag? street? economy?
advancing and retarding the timing?
swapping in different gear ratios for the transmission? (kind of saw some interest in the swap from 5 speed to 6 speed but the st isnt much different)
aero mods?
cooling mods?
brake mods?

basically I haven't seen questions and topics relating to things that are discussed in other forums and am curious why that isnt so here?

like im really curious about head studs and main studs. how many bolts do we have for our crank mains? is it 2 bolts or 6?

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
There really isn't a lot available for major mods on the Focus like internals and such. Lightweight engine cradles? Seriously? You want to throw serious money into a car the Focus is a poor choice for the returns. At least move to an ST and the aftermarket grows considerably. The regular Focus has been quite ignored when it comes to real power adders and 4 years on the market and no turbo kits in sight so I can't see upgraded engine internals any time soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes but the st shares the same engine with the other foci and the mazda platform as well

so i guess i want to know why no one has really cracked open any of these motors and found out ways to make them better?

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I thought the ST engine was very diff than the NA Focus.

With it out for 4 years i guess there hasn't been a demand seen by the aftermarket to put out more goodies. I know on here we have a very focused(ha!) view but maybe out in the mainstream the Focus isn't garnering the attention from parts makers.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
yes but the st shares the same engine with the other foci and the mazda platform as well

so i guess i want to know why no one has really cracked open any of these motors and found out ways to make them better?
This is so wrong it's not even funny.

The Focus ST engine is quite different than the base engine, the only things they may share are basic overall bore and stroke, but the ST has an integrated exhaust manifold into the head v.s. the separate exhaust ports and manifold, the N/A is a high compression engine (12:1) v.s. the low compression (9.3:1 + up to 21 psi of boost pressure) and high boost ST.

The engines aren't even built in the same factory.

There is some minor possibility that parts including the head would bolt onto the N/A block, but if that was really the case wouldn't they just assemble them here and save the money of international shipping? Even the new 2.0 L GTDI EcoBoost engine being used for the 2015 Ford Edge first that will be assembled in Cleveland, Ohio, not Dearborn, Michigan like the current 2.0 L GDI/Duratec engine.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/02/ford_to_bring_2-liter_ecoboost.html

The Focus chassis is not a Mazda platform. The C1 platform was a combined Ford/Mazda/Volvo effort initially and all three partners had a development stake in the platform. This platform spawned the MK2 Focus/Focus C-Max/Grand C-Max, the Volvo C30/S40/V50, and the Mazda 3/5.

The current version C346 is a mid cycle enhancement of the original C1 platform and brought the European Focus home once again.

How many bolts does the crankshaft have?
what kind of intake manifolds are available?
what kind of camshafts can we swap?
are there any upgrades for oil? (oil jets, higher pressure rocker arms, higher output pump)
are there any superchargers?
are there any aftermarket heads or heads available to make better power?
can i upgrade the valves to stainless steel?
can i get oversized valves?
forged pistons, rods, cranks?
any suspension mods? tubular parts? lightweight engine cradles?
exhaust is talked about but I dont recall hearing much discussion on LONG TUBE HEADERS specifically
different types of tires? raod racing? drag? street? economy?
advancing and retarding the timing?
swapping in different gear ratios for the transmission? (kind of saw some interest in the swap from 5 speed to 6 speed but the st isnt much different)
aero mods?
cooling mods?
brake mods?

basically I haven't seen questions and topics relating to things that are discussed in other forums and am curious why that isnt so here?

like im really curious about head studs and main studs. how many bolts do we have for our crank mains? is it 2 bolts or 6?
No superchargers/turbocharger kits available. Roush teased a TVS900 based kit for SEMA 2011 and Cobb built a full out turbocharged car from the ground up as a test mule for the Focus ST prior to it's launch.

No one is currently making a head that works with the direct injectors and high pressure fuel system.

You'd have to get custom everything made as there is very little aftermarket for these cars.

These cars have continuously variable valve timing with cam shaft phasing and are continuously optimizing themselves for the given demands placed upon the engine. Could you extract more power out of the car? Sure, but at what cost? There are other better platforms to start from as a base if all you want is power/ performance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is so wrong it's not even funny.

The Focus ST engine is quite different than the base engine, the only things they may share are basic overall bore and stroke, but the ST has an integrated exhaust manifold into the head v.s. the separate exhaust ports and manifold, the N/A is a high compression engine (12:1) v.s. the low compression (9.3:1 + up to 21 psi of boost pressure) and high boost ST.

The engines aren't even built in the same factory.

There is some minor possibility that parts including the head would bolt onto the N/A block, but if that was really the case wouldn't they just assemble them here and save the money of international shipping? Even the new 2.0 L GTDI EcoBoost engine being used for the 2015 Ford Edge first that will be assembled in Cleveland, Ohio, not Dearborn, Michigan like the current 2.0 L GDI/Duratec engine.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/02/ford_to_bring_2-liter_ecoboost.html

The Focus chassis is not a Mazda platform. The C1 platform was a combined Ford/Mazda/Volvo effort initially and all three partners had a development stake in the platform. This platform spawned the MK2 Focus/Focus C-Max/Grand C-Max, the Volvo C30/S40/V50, and the Mazda 3/5.

The current version C346 is a mid cycle enhancement of the original C1 platform and brought the European Focus home once again.

No superchargers/turbocharger kits available. Roush teased a TVS900 based kit for SEMA 2011 and Cobb built a full out turbocharged car from the ground up as a test mule for the Focus ST prior to it's launch.

No one is currently making a head that works with the direct injectors and high pressure fuel system.

You'd have to get custom everything made as there is very little aftermarket for these cars.

These cars have continuously variable valve timing with cam shaft phasing and are continuously optimizing themselves for the given demands placed upon the engine. Could you extract more power out of the car? Sure, but at what cost? There are other better platforms to start from as a base if all you want is power/ performance.
same bore/stroke means that a piston in one engine can be taken and put into the other. so the question is are the valves in the same orientation to allow for a single piston to be used for both? I cant answer that. However what I can answer is that the rods WOULD be the same whether it is boosted or not as boost and heads have nothing to do with the design of the cylinder head.

So you just said that these aren't the same engine? yes? so tell me....why would ford use 2 different blocks when there is no need to? im willing to bet that you are wrong on the similarities between the engines in more ways than just bore/stroke.

sure the exhaust ports are different but no one has taken the heads apart to say much else besides that. do they have similar camshafts? probably not due to NA vs turbocharging. do they share the same cylinder head bolt threads? im willing to bet yes. at what point do the bolts give loose? could we get some studs?

The focus chassis may not be a mazda but the engine sure as heck is...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Sorry no, the rods are not the same. The St has forged rods.

I think it is interesting to say, why hasn't everyone else done all this work so I can fantasize about it endlessly. As is, not much to daydream about is there?
Now a few folks have motors with lots of power. but those guys are doers not dreamers.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Tom said he was working on forged pistons and internals as well as a turbo kit. If you got deep enough pockets..anything is possible.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
"deep enough pockets'. I traded in my 2012 for the ST. So for about $8grand i got the ST with endless bling inside too.
I do not see the point of expensive engine stuff when you can just buy the ST.
Problably why not much heavy duty go fast stuff for the regular MK3 Focus

My 2012 SE was $22,800 with sport package and manual tranny.
My 2014 ST3 was $32,000. i saved a few more thousand from sticker on the ST than I did on the SE. (end of year, $3K cash, $ money off interest costs equal to about $1700.)
And the cool stuff in the ST3 is worth WAY MORE than the additional $9K (retail) it cost over the retail of the SE I had.
And for a Ti, the difference is almost NOTHING.. in fact the ST1 is way cheaper!)
(i am ignoring the 2 year difference, and the depreciation on the 2012, as any car depreciates anyway.)

And if you buy a ST1, the difference in money for the performance is crazy to blow it on 'go fast' for a regular MK3

(if you desparately want a sleeper, the just stick a normal MK3 front on your ST1..

CHEAT!! [grinking]

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
yes but the st shares the same engine with the other foci...
The "ST engine" (the 2.0L EcoBoost which is used in a large number of vehicles) is being retired by Ford in favor of a new and improved 2.0L EcoBoost.

"The Edge debuts Ford’s newest EcoBoost engine, an all-new 2.0-L four-cylinder unit with a twin-scroll turbo and direct fuel injection that produces an estimated 245 hp (183 kW) and 270 lb·ft (366 N·m). In addition to improving the Edge’s efficiency, it also permits all-wheel-drive and a 3500-lb (1600-kg) tow rating for this fuel-sipping base engine.

The engine has a lower mass than the old 2.0 EcoBoost thanks to a lighter engine block casting, an aluminum balance shaft assembly, lighter pistons, and an integrated exhaust manifold.

The head casting pairs the outlets for the number two and three cylinders together in the integrated exhaust manifold because doing so helps keep the turbo spinning at high speed more of the time, according to four-cylinder engine program manager Scott Makowski. He terms the new fuel injectors “a critical piece,” because their improved fuel atomization allowed an increase in compression ratio from 9.3:1 to 9.7:1."

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the Duratec TiVCT performance section.

More performance question answers are found in the performance section for the engine...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Probably for the same reasons there not making them for corrolla's either. The majority of buyers arent looking to spend thousands on a librarian car. To gain 20-30 horsepower.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yah, don't laugh at them too much,

Toyota learned the Toy Store helped sales long ago.

When you look at a Scion Xbox at the car show & the LSD to fit is displayed right next to it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts