Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I am so glad to have found this site. Secondly any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok

In Alberta, weather was - 30 degrees drove home in my 2002 Focus wagon Ztec engine. Parked on street and went and started car and let run 20-25 minutes before bed.

Woke up in the AM started car which promptly stalled after about 20 seconds of running, would not start again even with boost.. would turn over but not start...

Figured it was frozen, attempted to warm it up (Big Propane heater) still no go.. left it and tried next day. Started again on first try but when given some gas after starting as running rough it just bogged out and stalled again and will not start..

Has just over 1/4 tank of gas, And I added Gas line antifreeze in attempting to start it on the first day

I have no idea why it is doing this... I park inside at work so it is kept warm..
I will have to pay for towing fees plus whatever else the mechanic will charge..

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Someone Please help...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
My guess would be that you have enough water in the gas to freeze up, despite the use of gas-line anti-freeze.

In cold temperatures you should always have a full tank of gas to avoid moisture/freezing issues.

You're talking about -30F? Too cold for me.....

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
burrr -30, COLD! i dont i would try going outside and try starting my car. i'd just stay at home and watch a movie or play games. hope you find out the issue

·
Registered
143 Posts
My guess would be that you have enough water in the gas to freeze up, despite the use of gas-line anti-freeze.

In cold temperatures you should always have a full tank of gas to avoid moisture/freezing issues.

You're talking about -30F? Too cold for me.....
I can't be of much help but... It was -30 Celcius. This happened to mine too this weekend.... someone unplugged me to plug themselves in. Happened again so I just didn't go anywhere and waited until it was warmer out this morning and finally got it to stay running and sat in it playing on my macbook for about 30minutes until it warmed up before giving any gas.

Maybe the temperature warm up will be all you need too.... maybe? My dad seemed to think that giving it gas would have been a bad thing though so I didn't...

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
I agree with what bluefront said, probably water in the gas because of the temp and you only having 1/4 tank left. I always make sure to have at least half a tank in cold weather conditions like that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree with what bluefront said, probably water in the gas because of the temp and you only having 1/4 tank left. I always make sure to have at least half a tank in cold weather conditions like that.
Because I'm curious, if this is the case, what is the fix? Does it just warm up again? Did you wreck parts by giving it gas?

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
You buy some some fuel stabilizer, fill up the tank and then it should be OK after it burns a bit.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree with tetra. empty the tank. FILL it. and put some fuel stabilizer in it and stay on top of it with temps like that...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If it has been a while since the filter was changed, I would replace that too. Not a very big cost, but a little more insurance. Also, use a good fuel additive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is doing this too!

for a year and a half now, my 2002 wagon has occasionally decided it doesn't want to keep running.
I've been trying to find the problem.
We get no CEL. We run it to our mechanic as soon as it happens (we can drive it with on foot on gas, one foot on brake, and constant shifting in and out of neutral) and he gets no codes.
If we let the car sit an hour or so, it will start up.
we've replaced fuel sensors, fuel pump, DPFE sensor, two complete 90,000 tune ups($200 each!), PCVs, vacuum hoses, thermostat.
We've put as much into the car as we've paid for it (in 16 months!)
it was happening every three weeks or so. we thought we'd figured it down to engine temp. If we're running errands or in thick traffic and the temp gets high we need to drive it a while full out to cool it down. We thought we had it pegged.
For the last four days it does this EVERY TIME WE USE THE CAR! even if I get in the car and drive 50 mph for 10 miles. Turn off the car.
try to start it 10 min later. no luck.
We are hoping someone totals it in front of our house at this point.
Our two mechanics wont see us anymore. They feel bad taking our money and have no more answers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts