Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not exactly a flattering review of the Focus and certainly not one which Ford would want to use to promote the sale of their 2014 Focus. All that aside, the reviewer explained why the car is so entertaining to drive. It's European tuned suspension is the reason. I have the Titanium Handling Package which came with 18" rims and Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (summer tires) and I can tell you the car handles like a go cart. The trade off is a less compliant or cushy ride. If you like that sort of driving experience where you feel the road, the car is great for driving enthusiasts.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What is in the tech of the Focus that makes its driving experience so fun versus say a Corolla, Elantra, Civic?
Control Blade Rear Suspension.

The devil is in the details for any suspension design of course, but fundamentally the Focus starts from a better foundation point in terms of trying to balance out ride and handling than the other vehicles mentioned.

·
Registered
87 Posts

The devil is in the details for any suspension design of course, but fundamentally the Focus starts from a better foundation point in terms of trying to balance out ride and handling than the other vehicles mentioned.
Is this also the reason that the focus has such a wide turning radius?

I don't mind it because my last vehicle was a pickup truck and I am used to making wide turns when parking.

But compared with other compact cars the Focus really doesn't do well with tight turns in parking lots.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Is this also the reason that the focus has such a wide turning radius?

I don't mind it because my last vehicle was a pickup truck and I am used to making wide turns when parking.

But compared with other compact cars the Focus really doesn't do well with tight turns in parking lots.
The turning radius has nothing to do with the rear suspension. If you have the 18" wheels there were aggressive limiters on the steering rack to prevent the possibility of hitting the wheel on the inner fender. The consequence of this is a wider turning radius than the cars with the 15-17" wheels.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

This^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah, I like mine. Just an SE though, so a little soft on damping, but I'll be selling it soon.

Kind of a shame, I really, really like the car, but I like open air motoring a little bit better. It's the only reason I'm selling it, otherwise I'd keep driving it.

It's a little porky compared to the cars I'm used to driving, but as it goes, really a nice driving, very nice handling car.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

My father have a MK1.5 Saleen Focus and I was always impressed with the handling of this thing...

Had to buy one!... So that was one of the main reason I did purchase a Focus MK3...

MK2 was meh but IMO, MK1/MK1.5 and MK3 are golden!

Same model minus the side decal

·
Registered
739 Posts
My father have a MK1.5 Saleen Focus and I was always impressed with the handling of this thing...

Had to buy one!... So that was one of the main reason I did purchase a Focus MK3...

MK2 was meh but IMO, MK1/MK1.5 and MK3 are golden!

Same model minus the side decal

My Mk2 coupe handles like a dream. Idk what you're talking about. lol

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For people who have driven legit Bavarian/Central-European sport sedans how do the Focus's stack up? I imagine in terms of power the Focus is vastly outclassed, but anecdotally it seems like the Focus in the same ball park in terms of handling.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
For people who have driven legit Bavarian/Central-European sport sedans how do the Focus's stack up? I imagine in terms of power the Focus is vastly outclassed, but anecdotally it seems like the Focus in the same ball park in terms of handling.
My father-in-law has a Focus ST and a BMW 135 convertible. He says in essence on the technical parameters the two perform similarly but there is just something about the way the BMW feels that puts it in a class above the ST. In his words it "just seems to eat up the road."

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd think that they have a different feel & of course handling,,,,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Car handles pretty decent. I'm still getting used to the FWD, I think once I get used to it i'll be able to push it hard but until then i'm gonna still believe my old s13 handled better haha.

The turning radius has nothing to do with the rear suspension. If you have the 18" wheels there were aggressive limiters on the steering rack to prevent the possibility of hitting the wheel on the inner fender. The consequence of this is a wider turning radius than the cars with the 15-17" wheels.
Limiters easy to remove?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Car handles pretty decent. I'm still getting used to the FWD, I think once I get used to it i'll be able to push it hard but until then i'm gonna still believe my old s13 handled better haha.

Limiters easy to remove?
Limiters are in software (EPAS Module) I think...

EDIT: nah makes no sense since unpowered EPAS could get you past the software limiters ;)

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts

Limiters easy to remove?
Not really that easy for the average person to remove since you'd have to take the rack apart to get to them.

Limiters are in software (EPAS Module) I think...

EDIT: nah makes no sense since unpowered EPAS could get you past the software limiters ;)
Nope, they are physical parts that limit the travel of the rack under all conditions (powered or not).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not really that easy for the average person to remove since you'd have to take the rack apart to get to them.
No more difficult than removing the tie rod boot clamp at the rack, but that's straying off topic here.

There are other threads that discuss that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Meh, not too big of a job getting to the rack. Was more so just a curiosity point as I was surprised when I went to turn in my ST and realized it had the same turning radius as my raptor haha

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
What is in the tech of the Focus that makes its driving experience so fun versus say a Corolla, Elantra, Civic?
Norbert Kessing, Ford Europe’s vehicle dynamics manager and his team are responsible for the current Focus great steering dynamics.
Also Jurgen Putzschler whom was named "Dynamicist of the Year" for his work on the new Ford Focus and C-MAX by Vehicle Dynamics International magazine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_plbcsPU8M&list=PL48CD6114E23F6472&index=13

Richard Parry-Jones is the person IMO who is responsible for creating such a great driving car.

Since Richard Parry-Jones initiated the creation of a dedicated vehicle
dynamics development team back in 1994, Ford of Europe has established itself as a benchmark OEM for steering, ride, and handling.
According to the man who oversees the 55-strong department working on
everything from Ka to Transit, little things can make a big difference.
“The key thing we’re always working toward is attention to detail,” explains Norbert Kessing, Ford of Europe’s manager of vehicle dynamics. “There are premium OEMs who can afford to put more technologies into their vehicles than we can.
Our way is to fine-tune each and every component to its limit.”
To understand why the department has had so much success, it’s worth
looking first at what it’s trying to achieve. “We’re looking for functional
harmony,” says Kessing. “It’s no good having a very agile vehicle in terms
of steering response but a very lazy reaction on the throttle pedal.
“Beyond that, we remain convinced that customers don’t want to just
drive a vehicle, they want to have some fun doing it.

Read more here http://www.tesis-dynaware.com/filea...nzen/Ford_Detail_Designs_Vehicle_Dynamics.pdf

Bottom line IMO is that Ford prioritizes driving dynamics as a key element to their vehicles DNA make up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts