Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i live in cincinnati, we have odd weather (to say the least) today it could be 101 degrees outside and tomorrow it could snow.. then rain for 10 days straight

now that that's out of the way...

today i was makin a run for the boarder to get some lunch, because i was thinking outside the bun, and i noticed that my car is WAY under powered and quite poopy when it's raining. this isn't the first time i've noticed that but it just reminded me that i need to whine about it.

now if i'm driving along on a nice sunny day and it's starts raining while i'm driving my car has no issues, but if it rains on the car and then i get in and start driving it feels like i'm driving a riding lawn mower at best.

anyone know why that may be? the only thing that could possible make the differance is that i have an AEM short ram intake. but i highly doubt it.

ALSO if i let my car sit out in the heat like say it's 85 - 90 degrees and my car sits there for a few hours, i can hop in my car and it's so SUPER zippy. i can smash the gas and roast the tires off in 3rd. it's nuts whats up with all this!?

is my car bi-polar? should i put some paxal pills in the gas?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
My car does that even with the stock intake, I think it has to do with all the moisture in the air. Its not enough to harm the car, but enough to hinder the performance. Also if I am not mistaken a little water actually helps burn off any carbon on the pistons if their is any.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no this is extreme, it's not like oh i'm adding a second or 2 on my 0-60 times, it's like i step on the gas and i'm getting to 30mph grudgingly within like 6-8 seconds. it's REALLY bad it literally feels like my car has about 50hp less!

LMAO

anyone got ideas on how to level this all out?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Yeah, its raining today in Tampa and I hear you on that. My car almost died the idle was soo rough and choppy. I did notice it doing it more after hitting a puddle on the passenger side of the car. Im figuring it has to do with water getting onto the fan belt cuz I know im not getting water into the intake cuz its a FS cool flo (basically a SRI).

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I"ll bet you have a bad spark plug wire that is shorting out in the rain. It would still run but you have a 3 cylinder..You can check for this at night with a spray mister bottle, open the hood with the car running and spray water mist all around the plugs and wires and coil. Look for sparks or listen for a miss to occurr. If you have high milage you may just want to do wires anyway.

Check with TonyD at Newedgeperformance.com or Mcnewsautomotive.com.. Either place will have what you need at good prices.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
viney i know i don't have a bad plug wire, i have new ford racing wires.

what bigred said make since because the belt can slip some if it's wet. but it sound to me like it's not just my problem alot of people have the problem. also i've ran my car with a bad wire trust me you KNOW if your running on 3 cylinders instead of 4.

and a bad plug wire doesn't explain the "extra power" after sitting in the heat

·
Registered
167 Posts
My car loves mild weather to hot weather. Like you said jaimz I have so much more zip it's increadible but my car doesn't become slow like yours in the rain or in very cold weather but Felicia isn't as peppy sometimes.

I bought my car second hand and I found out my exaust was changed because the car had a 'breathing problem' My car was a lease before I bought it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
there's a tsb on the cowling on the focus'. what happens is the cowl doesn't seal up all the way and water can seep down and mess with the electronics i believe. ahven't read it in awhile, but alldata describes it and how to fix it.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm intresting.

well i'm replacing my exhaust within the next few weeks as my signature currently says.

i'll check on the cowling thing, i have the ford service manual but it hasn't been updated since 2003 (downloaded version) i'm sure a ford dealer can print me off the tsb's (any one with all data could too)

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Try disconnecting the EGR valve from its vaccum line and see if that changes anything. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and disconnecting the EGR valve fixed it.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i'll do that too. it might be my DPFE but mines differant from all the one's i've ever seen, maybe i'll just bypass my DPFE, today is a nice crappy rainny day again so it's a good time to test it out.

btw skaaddict you going to be at the gtg on saturday?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Roasting tires in 3rd gear... Your focus is a beast when you can claim this!

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well that isn't totally true, it's an exageration. it was just used to get the point across. but it will roast them off in first and chirp them pretty good in 2nd.

it's bizarre

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
My wagon will chirp second ( third on the nitrous ), but that is normal for our cars. Any luck finding anything yet? Have you pulled the spark plugs to have a look at them.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my spark plugs are brand new, it has nothing to do with my spark plugs or wires

1 - 17 of 17 Posts