Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
look at the pic and look where the arrows are pointing and tell me if something is wrong. well just a couple days ago my e-brake light came on while i was driving and i was like wtf the handle is all the way down and it is still like this. can anyone tell me wut the prob is and possibly a way to fix it

[/IMG]

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
check the contacts underneath the console where the ebrake is. you should be able to pull the ebrake leather away from the console to do this. you should find a wiring piece that when the ebrake is down, it makes contact. clean these contacts and make sure they are still touching each other when they should.

its either this or, your low on brake fluid. check that first to avoid pulling stuff apart[thumb]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i checked my floor mat and there was a stain and my clutch pedal was covered in fluid so i guess this means i need to get a new slave cylinder, and fill my brake fluid up so i dont run out. looks like a fun installfor the spring when i get back from florida
thanks for the help anyone no the best place and cheapest place tobuy it from
and one more thing how hard to install

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
is like 50 bucks at the dealership for the master cylinder... and ppl have said that is a PITA if you do it... but there is always a first time right???[thumb]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thats good cus its a little cheaper then the slave and if its a pain for me then it will prob be a pain for a shop and cost a lot but i am gunna do it but will have to wait. is it alright to keep driveing with it and just keep up with filling the brake fluid because i am broke and am going to be going to florida in jan and as of right now dont drive the car alot cus i just finished school.

·
Registered
575 Posts
is it alright to keep driveing with it and just keep up with filling the brake fluid because i am broke and am going to be going to florida in jan and as of right now dont drive the car alot cus i just finished school.
It will be fine as long as you don't let the brake fluid get low. I had an old Ford truck that the master cylinder leaked on for probably 3 years and i just kept filling it about a pint every 3 months or so. Just make sure if you let anyone drive it for an extended period of time you tell them to check the brake fluid. I made that mistake i sold the truck to my sister and she wrecked it about 2 months later.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Brake fluid is nasty stuff though. Be aware of that if it soaks the carpet under the pedal, or if you get it on your shoes, then walk on your mom's new wall-to-wall. It'll disolve many plastics and ruin just about any paint. Good news: If it does get spread around, it's highly water soluable, so it's easy to clean up. But do it fast!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Brake fluid is nasty stuff though. Be aware of that if it soaks the carpet under the pedal, or if you get it on your shoes, then walk on your mom's new wall-to-wall. It'll disolve many plastics and ruin just about any paint. Good news: If it does get spread around, it's highly water soluable, so it's easy to clean up. But do it fast!

Also, be aware the brake fluid is FLAMMABLE. Be careful, and clean up the mess.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys for the info i lov this site

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
good thread, i am having the same issue right now, and i am about to go get some brake fluid but was wondering, is it all the same or are there different types? and is one better then the other

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> is it all the same or are there different types?

Stick with DOT 3 or 4. Do NOT use DOT 5 as it is incompatible with the DOT 3 or 4 that came in you vehicle.

DOT 4 has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 and is generally consider better than DOT 3; however, some people believe DOT 4 is more hygroscopic than DOT 3, and therefore needs to be changed/flushed more often. I generally just use a name brand DOT 4 fluid, which often is labeled as DOT 3/4.... there is no difference between fluids labeled DOT 3/4 vs. DOT 4, as every DOT 4 fluid also meets DOT 3 requirements.

And yes, there also is something called DOT 5.1 out there which is completely different from DOT 5, and is compatible with DOT 3/4 fluids/systems, but there really is no need to consider expensive DOT 5.1 unless you are racing.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^thats what i was thinking at first or i was afraid they were gunna lock up on me but the wheels spin freely so that was out but just got keep refilling for a couple weeks then i wont be driving it cus i am going to florida its gunna sit outside with a cover over it through the winter

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I found some synthetic brake fluid at the local auto zone a few months back. I can't remember if it was a DOT 3 or 4, but it works just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts