Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay. so when i am at a dead stop. i floor it to take off. and it falls right on its face. like say you stomp it and you start rolling and you are taking off and them all of a sudden it bogs down. then picks back up. why is this.. anyone know

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Probably needs a tune. Auto or MTX?

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
We are speaking of a different kind of tune. Not a tune-up, as you are implying. But a reflash of the ECU (I think I stated that right)

DO you have a manual or an automatic?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
dark_alliance said:
okay. so when i am at a dead stop. i floor it to take off. and it falls right on its face. like say you stomp it and you start rolling and you are taking off and them all of a sudden it bogs down. then picks back up. why is this.. anyone know
check the almightly fuel pump...
has it been replaced, ever?

2000 model year focus seem to have this problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Actually I used to have this problem all the time. It went away when I replaced the intake and reflashed the ECU.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
dark_alliance--Is your car stock or are there mods done to it. I know that most short ram intakes will bog off of the line beacuse they are sucking in hot underhood air until the car is moving (and hot air=not a lot of power). If your car has a short ram style intake, there isn't much you can do other than putting a heat shield around the filter or switing to a cold air intake (CAI).

However, if your car is stock, then definately check out the fuel pump (I replaced mine last year, before learning that it was something Ford would have done free), because that could
be causing your problem. Also, check out your air filter and consider changing it.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Sounds like a lean condition or too much spark advance, the knock sensor detects the signs of detonation, the computer retards the spark 10 degrees for a while, then puts things back to normal. Since the condition doesn't exist afterwards, I'd say it's likely that the TPS is sluggish. Your throttle is opening more than the computer realizes. If this is the problem, it would seem to go away or get better during colder weather, and then re-appear in the spring. A bad fuel pump as Fosho suggested could cause the same lean condition. If the fuel pump charges for more than 10 seconds, then it is weak, or there is a problem with the fuel pressure regulator (less likely).

This is just a guess, and even if the fix worked for someone else it may not be your specific problem. Test your TPS, and inspect the wiring harness all the way from the TPS to the firewall to be sure there are no physical issues. There have been some reports of FF's with melted wiring causing strange problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
is there a generic stock tune that was used for all 02 zetec foci from the factory? Is there any way I can get it if I have an xcalibrator 2? I have a used 02 zts that I'm trying to sort out. The car makes a rattling noise and loses a bit of power from 1600-2100rpm in all gears and only under load. After 2100rpm the sound is gone and power kicks in.

I have changed plugs, have wires and a new coil waiting to be installed. I also have a new fuel filter coming in. I'm wondering if this car had been tuned by a previous owner even though I bought it from a Ford dealer. I'm trying to sort out this problem before I use the xcalibrator 2 on it.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
yf22k said:
The car makes a rattling noise and loses a bit of power from 1600-2100rpm in all gears and only under load.
Did you check the spark plug insulators for dimples, or other signs of detonation?

·
Registered
148 Posts
The plugs looked ok...the ones I took out were maybe 5 months old and looked fine but I figured I'd replace them anyway. I used motorcraft plugs. What are the other signs of detonation/preignition should I look for?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts