Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of swapping out my stock air intake for a short ram or direct ram air intake, but from all the research I've done, everyone seems to say ditch the SRI and get a CAI. Why is this? Is it really THAT much better? I know using a bypass filter is supposed to solve the water problem, but the wet winters we get up here still concern me. Also, won't a SRI get just as much cold air if you use a hood scoop? An actual ram air intake definitely would, plus the air has less distance to travel than in a CAI. So why does everyone still insist that CAI is the way to go? [???:)]

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
the heat from the engine. the belief is that all the SRI will do is suck all the heat in redcuing power if you want an SRI get a Steeda "CAI". it's an SRI but it's covered by a heat sheild which people on here do say works. it's not as common though cause it's more expensive and people don't think it takes ine in cold air.

·
Panamasian
2,590 Posts
plus it doesn't look as good. i'm opting for a steeda. i don't want to risk anything because of price. if a heat shield is there it's there for a reason

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Plainly put, no one knows what the hell they're talking about as they don't understand how air works.
They fall victim to erroneous advertising claims and think that anything has to be better than stock. Which isn't the whole truth as stock is pretty damn good.
They think that bigger has to be better. Larger MAF, larger TB, larger intake tube all has to make more power. In most cases this is wrong. A larger tube slows the air down. Which means that per cycle you are getting less air and subsequently less torque.

A good intake will have very few bends and draw air from outside the engine bay. That's all you have to look for in a good intake. Now pop the hood and look at the stock intake. Yup, exactly as it should be.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Unless you spend a lot of time in gridlock type traffic with little air flow around the engine, the difference is probably negligible. I'd like to see a back to back dyno comparison of the two vs. a stock intake.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'd like to see a back to back dyno comparison of the two vs. a stock intake.

As much as people hated the book, it's yet to be disproved.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think an sri with a hood scoop would work just fine. Look for one that has a heat shield or the volant intake. Personally, I'd go for the volant with a hood scoop right above it.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
an actual ram air, such as comming through the headlight will do you good, but the idea that they are bad is based on where the air is sucking air in. if your sucking in air that is 175* F from up top ur engine bay, as compared to near ambient air temps from outside the car, which will do you more power? well, air is more dense at cooler temps, therefore, colder air will do you better as you get more oxygen in the combustion chamber per cycle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The main reason I want to change the air intake is not necessarily to enhance performance, although that would be nice too, but rather to improve sound. I absolutely hate the cheesy sound of the stock intake. Even after removing the res, it only sounds good at high rpm. Lower rpm intake noise is just plain embarrassing. I like the hood scoop idea, because I might just be able to improve sound, looks, and possibly a little performance at the same time!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, you do realize you are driving a focus right? lol, jk. yes, an intake will do you good, but see if you can't get someone to monitor your IAT's to see the temp difference. it will change the sound, but you may actually lose hp.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I am running a SRI and no heat shield and dont have any problems, the volant is probably the best, but if you are moving, you are getting rid of all the hot air in the engine bay anyways...duh! So a SRI will be fine, unless you live in california and sit in traffic on the 405 for 3 hours a day, then the SRI is no good.

·
Registered
178 Posts
my friend's dad works at a drag racing performance shop and he said he has had 3 different intakes... K&N, AEM, and MAC.. He said MAC was the best for the best price. i already decided thats what im getting for my ZX3

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had AEM CAI and K&N SRI tried on mine. With the CAI I felt the car sluggish until it reaches 3-4k rpm compared to SRI. After passing the 4k rpm ramp it feels more torque. SRI on the other side pulls strong all the way to 7200rpm. No issue with hot air, but compared the pulling power in the morning 5-6am and the one around 12noon you can feel the difference with SRI, this stands for CAI also, have tried them both.
The other deal with CAI is the rain, (we have rain in Jersey) so getting a bypass valve is highly recconmended :) Even if you drive on a flat highway for some time you are in danger, I have seen Honda's,Foci's, BMW's etc etc hydrolocked in Jersey :)

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Stick a cone filter on your stock intake and see how you like it. I absolutely hated my short ram once summer hit. I love my volant. I loved my cold air intake.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
146 Posts
my friend's dad works at a drag racing performance shop and he said he has had 3 different intakes... K&N, AEM, and MAC.. He said MAC was the best for the best price. i already decided thats what im getting for my ZX3
I'm not surprised at all. Large Straight Piping with no bends & a high flow filter with the maf positioned with no bends before or after the intake. The MAC is a great but simple design. Those worried about heat soak or getting "Cold-Air" keep the stock intake piping and use the SVT air box and Snorkle.

CAI's increase top end gains for the sacrifice of low end power. Way to many bends to be efficient across the board.

·
Registered
338 Posts

I've got a MAC it is good for the price. It rubs the paint off my hood though at a small spot where the filter edge rubs for some reason though.

Heat soak is definately an issue though in summer, even with the header wrapped it still gets scorching hot under the hood. Heat soak isnt just off the line either, it sucks at slower speeds too.

If I was to do it again I would buy an SVT airbox, snorkel, and a K&N panel filter...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no issues with heat soak anymore...

I've had both, there is no noticable difference in power. The only reason I went to a CAI was for the cleaner look it provides.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Let the muscle car world advise you, all MAC products are cheap shit. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have no issues with heat soak anymore...

I've had both, there is no noticable difference in power. The only reason I went to a CAI was for the cleaner look it provides.
That's kinda what I had in mind. Then I would pick up a cone filter that would fit on the stock intake pipe in place of the airbox. And for added security against water, I'd slip an Outerwears pre-filter over it. These hot summer days, power is severely lacking from heat soak. I would think a sri and a hole in the hood should help with that. My stock intake air temp was reading 104*F yesterday, and that was after it had been sitting in my garage and when the outdoor air temp was only 80*F! I can only immagine how high it is on a 95* day after it has been sitting in the sun for hours and hours!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have hade the plastic K&N and the steeda short ram they both work great but i like the steeda better and if it gets to hot... ill Just take off my hood... lol....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts