Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to get a new car, since my Sentra was totaled, and I grew tired of driving my old P/U after five months. And being an ex-mechanic, I knew what to look for, and what I liked/disliked in a smaller enono-car. It was 5-08 when I decided to get a Focus, after considering a ton of different options. By then the H/B models were no longer available new, so I had to get a used one. But getting that '06, gave me almost a year left on the 3/36 warranty......very important when getting a used car with 23K.

What I like in this particular model, compared to the others.....

I fit in it (6'5" about 235lb). Plenty of headroom, adjustable steering wheel, adjustable seat base, other adjustments sufficient.

Automatic trans.....I'm simply tired of shifting (my knees are going) and had I made a mistake, the resale value of the automatic is much greater.

Nice size eng.....the 2.0L is ideal with sufficient power, and the promise of good economy. The reliability of the Duratec seems average, plus I can fix many things if necessary. I could identify most everything under the hood, and nothing looked too difficult to work on.

Convenience factor....power windows and locks, along with a remote plus a security system, hard to do without.

A Ford.....there are dealers all around me. Parts are easy to find, compared to the imports.

What I didn't want and didn't get.....

Sun/moon roof.....they always leak and have wind noise, plus they break down, and are a bear to fix (expensive).

ABS......almost useless in the St Louis area, if you drive sanely. Extra complication, extra cost to fix.

Side and rear air-bags.....the two up front are sufficient when combined with seat belt usage. Any more is nuts.

Power seats....completely un-necessary. I run the seat back and it stays there.

High-power stereo w/extra amps and woofers. Useless to me....the 6-disk cd-changer is nice, but didn't need that either. I don't like noise.

A turbo of any sort.....total waste. They always fail and cost you a lot of money.

What I don't like, but couldn't avoid.....

Horrible air cleaner setup....found out about that too late.

16" wheels....preferred 15". This larger tire size is hard to find locally, less choices as to brands, and more expensive.

Visibility.....could be better. Too many blind spots. I'll get used to it I guess.

That's about all I can think of right now....covers the major stuff. And just why did you get your particular model......if you had a choice?

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
Well i can tell you from the past that dont modify the engine or you'll have problems later with the gears in the tranny.......Unless you buy a lintech Automatic than you wont run into problems.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i bought mine because it was a blast to drive, even though i thought it was butt ugly...

and the hatchback body was sporty, it was technically a coupe (ZX3), can fit a buttload of stuff in it, had a 5 year warranty, and was cheap as hell

plus once the aftermarket caught up with the 2.3L it was OMGZ

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yea I have an Auto-Tranny mainly because I cant drive stick lol. I will be doing some Engine upgrades but for right now im doing the look of the car. Yea im 6'5" as well and I was shocked that I could fit in a focus sedan. They only had two 07 sedan Focus on the Ford lot. It was the one I have a SES ZX4 and a ST ZX4. Wanted the ST but they were asking too much for it plus im worried about driving stick. But good choice in the Focus ZX5 they have quite alot of room.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
16" wheels....preferred 15". This larger tire size is hard to find locally, less choices as to brands, and more expensive.
Unforunately, this is becoming lesser true each year. Its starting to get hard to find decent tires in 15". More and more cars are coming standard with 16" or larger, and the market adjusts.

But you can always find someone selling their 15s, and then you can sell your 16s, if you really want.

·
You like this.
1,693 Posts
bluefront is possibly the most practical Focus owner around lol

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
he makes me feel like even more of a kid hahah

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh....I'm not a racer anymore. I got all that out of my system years ago with motorcycles. I've always been into modding. My last fast motorcycle convinced me I wasn't a racer. First time I down-shifted at 100mph, then cranked it back on, I pulled a massive wheelie. Scared the crap out of me.

This Focus is a good car for playing around, even if you're not into speed/performance mods. Plenty of stuff is readily available, and there's a lot you can do. It makes a nice, practical and cheap ride... [wrenchin]

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had three so far,01 zx3 auto ,03 zx3 stick,those two were yellow.My new 07 zx3 is loaded but a stick also..I wouldn't trade this one if my life depended on it.. It my not be special but it's mine...

·
Infidel
3,307 Posts
Unforunately, this is becoming lesser true each year. Its starting to get hard to find decent tires in 15". More and more cars are coming standard with 16" or larger, and the market adjusts.

But you can always find someone selling their 15s, and then you can sell your 16s, if you really want.
I have yet to have trouble finding 15" tires, and P195/60R15 is a very popular size.

5,155 Posts
I bought my '07 ZX3 because I loved my '00 so much. I bought my '00 ZX3 when I was looking for a car for college a few years back. I was looking for a used, 4-cyl 5-speed vehicle. Saw a '00 Focus ZX3 in the newspaper. Didn't even want to look at it, I didn't want a domestic and the Focus had a bad reputation. After a few days I broke down, I couldn't find anything else so I called the guy. Went and looked at the Focus, drove it and loved it. Went back a few days later and bought it. Had it for a year before I wrecked it.

Fast forward a year and a half, and I had decided to purchase a new vehicle. Went to Ford, talked to a salesman, and found my Focus. I even got $4500 off the sticker price! [:D] (I got power windows, locks, mirrors, sunroof, manual tranny, fogs, tach, and ABS. Unfortunately, in order to get fogs, I needed to get ABS - part of some stupid package.)

Ultimately, looking back, I wish I had got a sedan or ZX5. The ZX3 is far to impractical anymore. Also I would have rather I chose any other color besides black.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The problem with the p195/60R15 tires is according to several tire stores around Grand Forks ND, is that it is more of a "Sporty" Low Profile size, so if you want regular tires expect to pay a ass load of $$$ or get older tires. the two tires i have heard of for regular ones are Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring-H rated and Cooper CS4 Touring. and there are a few firestones and goodyears too if you want to go expensive.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was shopping for an eclipse when I bought mine. I had gone to see a couple different ones at some different dealerships. I was trying to find either a 97-98 GSX or an '03-'06 convertible. Found a couple I was thinking about getting, but was having a hard time talking anyone's price down to what I could afford at the time.

I was with my girlfriend (now fiancée) at the time, and I was at my usual dealer/service guy. Test drove the eclipse, *really* liked it, but it was priced at $14k and he said he wouldn't take less than $12k + my van as a trade-in (which I couldn't get rid of as my bro uses it for his band). Then I saw the focus sitting over along the edge of the lot with some nice-looking wheels on it. I asked Pat (the salesman) about it, he was like, "oh, you probably wouldn't be too interested in that. Just a little guy, 2.3L 4-cyl, wouldn't keep up with that GSX you're looking at, and it's automatic."

I asked for the keys anyway to take it out for a test drive. I cracked open the sunroof, popped in my Motion City Soundtrack CD, turned it up, and headed off the lot with my g/f. The test drive lasted maybe 10 minutes. I went back, asked for the price after taxes and whatnot, it fit my budget, and I bought it the next day. That was a year ago today.

I told the salesman I was gonna sleep on it to see what I felt about it, and he said, "why don't you sleep on it with it in your driveway, then." So I took it home, loved it for the next two days, took it back, started the paperwork, and five days after I found it, I drove it off the lot with my name on the title. This coming saturday marks the 1-yr anniversary of my car and I.

I liked it 'cause even though it was small, I could fit a ton in there. The seats moved easily enough. My fiancée loved the sunroof, that was the first thing she noticed when she got in. Even though we'd been shopping for a convertible, she said how big it felt and that it made the car feel really open. I loved the quirky power that the 2.3L had. It wasn't muscle or raw strength, but it was something present that just felt right to me. Also, I took it on a bit of a windy, bumpy road to my house and the suspension not only held up, but passed with flying colors.

I remember taking it to fill it up the first time, as well. Now, I'd been driving a van with a 22-gal tank on it that got 15mpg on the interstate. This was smaller, and WAY better mileage. I just giggled when I put $35 worth of gas in and filled the thing to the brim. Even now, it's about $50-55 to fill up, which is still less than that van, which was $65 to fill when I bought my focus. Then, I knew it was love and that I'd made the right choice.

I still sometimes wish I'd gotten an Eclipse, but then I look at my Mustang and realize that niche is filled for the most part. I just can't drive it in the winter. I also sometimes long for some more speed that the Focus will never give me, and then I get on my Hayabusa and I'm fine. The Focus is just my nice DD with hot wheels, neon interior, great sound, and the car everyone says "fits me."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts