Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 SE with an aux input in the glove box. I use my iphone regularly with my car to listen to music and make calls.

I was just wondering, why don't audio controls on the stereo work with the aux cable? I'm asking because, the in-line controls on headphone cables usually let you pause, play, skip etc. on the iphone whenever you want.

Doesn't the car do it because of limitations of the aux cable (probably not) or just because the car's stereo isn't designed that way? or some other reason?

Is there a way for me to use my stereo controls with the aux cable?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you'll notice, those headphones with inline controls have 3 metal bands on the connector. The first two are for stereo audio, the third is for the controls. Unless the ford aux connector has 3 pins inside the jack, and the cable you use has those three bands, controlling the iPhone through the aux cable would be impossible.

Why not try using bluetooth?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ oh!! ok... i'll have to check the jack in my car then.

you mean one of those bluetooth things that you clip on the visor? Yeah but isnt' the sound clarity much worse than the aux cable?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
^^ oh!! ok... i'll have to check the jack in my car then.

you mean one of those bluetooth things that you clip on the visor? Yeah but isnt' the sound clarity much worse than the aux cable?
I thought sync worked with Bluetooth phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
you should be able to play music from your phone over bluetooth, I've done this several times in the past in multiple cars with sync

·
Registered
299 Posts
The AUX jack on the car is just a 3.5mm audio jack. There is no way to do anything other than transfer sound to and from the jack....And what MacAttack said was correct. The AUX jack is just so you can use any mp3 player with it, since some may not work with playing through the USB port. Also so you can control from the device itself instead of the HU in the car like with USB.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What you can do is just connect your phone via bluetooth like others have mentioned, and then play your music that way along with make calls.

The only downside to that is depending on your phone, you will lose a lot of battery life. I keep a USB cable in my car plugged in to the USB to plug my phone in to charge it when I need to. But I never use the bluetooth to make calls or play music from my phone since I use my Zune in the other USB port to play music, and just rather pick up my phone to make calls.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The AUX jack on the car is just a 3.5mm audio jack. There is no way to do anything other than transfer sound to and from the jack....And what MacAttack said was correct. The AUX jack is just so you can use any mp3 player with it, since some may not work with playing through the USB port. Also so you can control from the device itself instead of the HU in the car like with USB.
That sucks... I wish the car makers would include that functionality through the AUX ports. It can't be that much more expensive. Thanks for the info guys.

I should probably have mentioned, I do not have the Sync package in my 2012. I neither have bluetooth nor do I have USB ports. I wish I did opt for the SYNC package but I didn't find one like I wanted.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That sucks... I wish the car makers would include that functionality through the AUX ports. It can't be that much more expensive. Thanks for the info guys.

I should probably have mentioned, I do not have the Sync package in my 2012. I neither have bluetooth nor do I have USB ports. I wish I did opt for the SYNC package but I didn't find one like I wanted.
Get a vent or some other kind of phone mount, and maybe even a usb adapter for the 12v output. That way, you'll have a screen at hand with all your music, directions, etc, and you'll still be charging it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
USB provides the best sound quality, I have noticed. I can actually tell that I am playing my lossless audio files.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
honestly there is no way using the aux port will allow you to control the device as well. first off apple or whatever company is not going to put that kind of functionality into the headphone jack. think of the aux port as your headphones (basically the car is the headphones for your mp3 player) your headphones do not let you change tracks, browse thru folders, etc so why do you think you would be able to do that in the car?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
honestly there is no way using the aux port will allow you to control the device as well. first off apple or whatever company is not going to put that kind of functionality into the headphone jack. think of the aux port as your headphones (basically the car is the headphones for your mp3 player) your headphones do not let you change tracks, browse thru folders, etc so why do you think you would be able to do that in the car?
I'm sorry but, you just confused me. Don't a lot of the phone headphones come with in-line controls for playing/pausing/skipping songs and other functions? This functionality is built into the port so thinking of the car as the headphones to my phone/player it will be possible right?

:)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
well there are some headphones that do this but most of them are proprietary headphones that only work with the device it was designed to work with. volume is obviously pretty easy to do. With usb though doing everything you want is very simple as it is data controlled. Different mp3 players may need different communication in order to skip tracks, etc and no car company is gonna spend the money and the time to research and design an aux input that would do all those functions for all the different mp3 players out there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts