Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[gunfire] this really makes me mad. I called my dealer today to find out how much a new air filter would cost. the parts guy tells me my car don't have a replaceable air filter. he told me i have to replace the air box the filter is attached to the box. $500 to replace it. this makes no sense to me at all. so i'm going aftermarket with the K&N Typhoon kit designed for the PZEV system.

·
Registered
659 Posts
the 05-07 have the lifetime filter there suppose to last 150,000 miles.Mine has a gage on the side that tells you in green yellow or red the shape ofthe filter.I got 108,000 miles and mines still green.

·
Nope, Chuck Testa
6,442 Posts
Thats crazy. I didn't realize they did that. So there is really no way to get the box open?

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine is an 08 with the lifetime filter too i changed it at 50k for some reason but i bought it at napa for like 15 bucks but make sure it also is a life time filter because they had 2 different ones and to open it just flip the tabs on each side with a screwdriver and the top should lift off at least on mine it does n e way

·
Registered
495 Posts
mine is an 08 with the lifetime filter too i changed it at 50k for some reason but i bought it at napa for like 15 bucks but make sure it also is a life time filter because they had 2 different ones and to open it just flip the tabs on each side with a screwdriver and the top should lift off at least on mine it does n e way
That's NOT the 150k-mile filter ..... there is NO "lifetime" air filter ... lol

The 150k-mile filter has a sealed housing and is over $500 ... I think it was around $600 the last time I priced one out.

My 2010 PZEV has a replaceable air filter ... I just recently replaced it with a K&N flat-panel filter ... now I have a "lifetime" filter I guess ... lol

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
My '09 PZEV has the "permanent" filter; some '09 PZEVs came with the replaceable one Gabe mentions. If I were to "replace" mine, it would be with an aftermarket CAI...but then I wouldn't have a PZEV anymore.

As to why Ford used this air filter design, my guess is that the engineers were trying to make a durable filter system that would help the car meet California CARB requirements (also followed by many other states including NY; I don't know about NJ). Among those requirements, also supported by federal EPA rules: no modifications allowed to any component of the air pollution controls. So, "permanent" must have seemed like a good solution within the legal constraints.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The bigger box is the "filter" that came on my 06 Pezz Focus. It is completly sealed .This is also the entire intake. The only peice i kept was the Section the mass air meter was connected to. cut it in half and put a silicone coupler/30$ filter to the end. taadaa Short ram whatever you want to call it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bigger box is the "filter" that came on my 06 Pezz Focus. It is completly sealed .This is also the entire intake. The only peice i kept was the Section the mass air meter was connected to. cut it in half and put a silicone coupler/30$ filter to the end. taadaa Short ram whatever you want to call it.

So did your mpg's improve?

·
Registered
578 Posts
My mechanic was telling me that my 08 non pzev had the permanent filter. I had to lift the hood and show him the wedge filter under the cover. I then went over to the oarts guy and requested a new filter and installed it infront of him.

In his mind he said the lifetime filter worked like a dyson vacuum and spins the dirt out of the air....

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Hubie - that canister is a resonator chamber, not the filter. Filter is a larger canister housed in the fender area in front of the wheel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
After reading this now I'm all confused, are we talking air or cabin filter guys. I was also told by the dealer that my car has a lifetime air filter.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Thread subject is the Engine air filter.

You'll find a restriction gauge on the intake tubing in the engine compartment instead of a filter box that can open in the case of a PZEV model with the "lifetime" filter system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I asked the same question and I was able to get all the answers. The PZEV upgrade gives you the life time charcoal canister filter and yes it's suppose to last the life of the car. You have better oxygen sensors so the computer can react more precise to different conditions. Also the engine gets warmer quicker to avoid running rich for a longer periods of time when cold. You lose 8 horsepower but it's not much of a difference. The response still feels good and the transmission helps a lot. To be honest we are riding around with Ford Focus ST engines before the upgrades.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure if you guys have the wrong info, or me the wrong idea.
My 07 has the same stupid filter box. it is not a PZEV car.
PZEV adds an air injection pump. That air pump tube/hose runs to the intake tube just before the throttle body. Also not sure how it has anything to do with your engine warming up faster, lol.

Mine, no air pump

Air pump equipped aka PZEV

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Thread started with a person owning a MkIII (2012 and up) asking about what a Dealer told them in error. They have a replaceable filter.

Most of the rest IS for MkII ('08-'11) where fitments varied.

You've got a Mk1.5 ('05-'07), also not a MkII and as mentioned earlier those came with the lifetime style. (haven't noted an exception I can remember)

Oddly your second picture is captioned the opposite of what it should be, showing an inlet tube for the PZEV air pump attached to the intake. The faster warm up is for the CAT when the air pump adds air to the exhaust to burn any fuel in the exh. on initial start up. Doesn't run for long that way.

Long list of PZEV detail changes, the steel fuel tank to prevent evap. emissions is another not mentioned before in this thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts