Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These floppy blades really annoy me. They have no stability and drag on the glass making squeaks the whole time. I found some by Rain-X that said they were compatible with the Focus that have the metal frame on them, so, of course, they don't work. and now I get to send them back to Amazon. What moron came up with the design for these blades? Are all Ford wiper blades this way or just the MK3?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What part number from Ford are you using? Ford or Motorcraft? The quality is different.

Try CP9Z-17528-A and CP9Z-17528-B.

I've been using the above since I bought the car new and they last 2-3 years, no drag and no squeaks. I am on my 2nd set now (the car is 5 years and 9 months old).

I live in Montreal so we have big winter and big summer.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
Depends. Wipers MUST have a certain degree of 'floppy' to them or they will not work, they must be able to flex as the windshield curve changes up and down the working pathway there. A solid arm absolutely won't work either, it will have insert segments in it that let the blades flop to fit the glass curve too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends. Wipers MUST have a certain degree of 'floppy' to them or they will not work, they must be able to flex as the windshield curve changes up and down the working pathway there. A solid arm absolutely won't work either, it will have insert segments in it that let the blades flop to fit the glass curve too.
You have to know what I mean, though. The Focus is the first car I've had that has those kind of blades. For the Focus it looks like a normal wiper blade that someone took the actual blade part out, then threw out the frame everyone else uses.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

And yet every other car including my Rav4 have curved windshields and the wipers have the frame and work just fine. With the Focus it's not even an option, You just get the rubber part and that's it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What part number from Ford are you using? Ford or Motorcraft? The quality is different.

Try CP9Z-17528-A and CP9Z-17528-B.

I've been using the above since I bought the car new and they last 2-3 years, no drag and no squeaks. I am on my 2nd set now (the car is 5 years and 9 months old).

I live in Montreal so we have big winter and big summer.
When I look it up it says: This does not fit your:
2012 Ford Focus

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had few problems with the factory blades, and I replaced them with the oe ones with no issues as well. My current set of wipers were bought in a pinch from AutoZone, and they are annoying. They drag, squeak, and can really get on my nerves. I’m going back to the Motorcraft ones as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I owned a 2012 MK3 Focus with them. Right off I used Rain X liquid on the windows and solved and chatter of OEM wipers.
17,000 mi 3 years no problem.
Bought 2014 ST same wipers, Use Rain X in this car too.
Never a problem 3 and 1/2 years, 29,000 miles happy with original wipers still.
When I use the Rain X, I also carefully wipe the working surface of the blades using Rain X on a napkin, Clean off the dirt!
Still work like new!

Rain X ROCKS!!!!

The one complaint I hear is fogging. The wiper runs and a fog like smear on the glass. I agree that is BAD. The problem occurs because there is grease or oil on the glass UNDER the Rain X.
Solution is way more Rain X and a lot of hard rubbing to remove the greasy film.
Or use something chemical to remove the film before using the Rain X.
Once you got the Rain X direct on the glass, no more fog, ever. [hihi]

·
Registered
98 Posts
IMO, the blades are too long. They create too much friction on the windshield glass. Too much rubber contact
These floppy blades really annoy me. They have no stability and drag on the glass making squeaks the whole time. I found some by Rain-X that said they were compatible with the Focus that have the metal frame on them, so, of course, they don't work. and now I get to send them back to Amazon. What moron came up with the design for these blades? Are all Ford wiper blades this way or just the MK3?
Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMO, the blades are too long. They create too much friction on the windshield glass. Too much rubber contact
You are so right. I have been trying to figure out a way around this for a while.

It doesn't rain too much where I am, but every time it does I have the issue of smearing rather than wiping away.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have 2012 Ti that I bought new, 6/2012, and I'm still using the wiper blades that came with the car without any problems! Plus I live in MN and the winters can be nasty!

I occasionally wipe them off with a clean rag or an Armor All cleaning wipe.
ALSO, when I go thru a gas station car wash, I run the wipers after the soap cycle to minimize build up on the glass and wipers of the wax/sealant cycles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe there is a difference in quality between the Ford and Motorcraft parts... I've gone through 3 sets of Motorcraft wipers in the two years I've had my Focus. The most recent pair is only 2.5 months old and I already have skipping on the bottom-half of the drivers' wiper. Yes, only one part of the wiper is skipping for me.

I have used the Rain-X solution you mix into the water you put in the wiper fluid reservoir to mixed success. It'll keep the blades from skipping, but when there's heavy rain or it's raining for a long time the solution will come off the blades and it'll start skipping. I've filled the wiper reservoir with the pre-mix Rain-X bug remover (orange fluid) today and will see how that goes. Wiping the blades with mineral spirits and cleaning the windshield with Dawn only exacerbated the skipping until the Rain-X was able to recoat everything.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Maybe there is a difference in quality between the Ford and Motorcraft parts... I've gone through 3 sets of Motorcraft wipers in the two years I've had my Focus. The most recent pair is only 2.5 months old and I already have skipping on the bottom-half of the drivers' wiper. Yes, only one part of the wiper is skipping for me.

I have used the Rain-X solution you mix into the water you put in the wiper fluid reservoir to mixed success. It'll keep the blades from skipping, but when there's heavy rain or it's raining for a long time the solution will come off the blades and it'll start skipping. I've filled the wiper reservoir with the pre-mix Rain-X bug remover (orange fluid) today and will see how that goes. Wiping the blades with mineral spirits and cleaning the windshield with Dawn only exacerbated the skipping until the Rain-X was able to recoat everything.
Thats when you'd apply rain-x directly to the windshield....of course after carefully cleaning it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same issue. Replaced with motorcraft blades at the dealer during my oil change and within 2 weeks they drag and skip. So bad that it will hang up my arms half way up or down. They worked perfect for the first two weeks and I thought great, that solved the issue. Nope. $28 wasted too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a set that my mother got for me at Costco. They are terrible, but I braved through them for a year.
Getting about time to replace em. Was just going to get them from the dealer (would be Motorcraft, I assume), but after hearing all this I don't know if I wanna do that...

I looked up the Ford CP9Z-17528-A / CP9Z-17528-B blades on Amazon.ca, they are showing unavailable. Anyone know where else they would be available, or know of any other other good wipers to use?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have a set that my mother got for me at Costco. They are terrible, but I braved through them for a year.
Getting about time to replace em. Was just going to get them from the dealer (would be Motorcraft, I assume), but after hearing all this I don't know if I wanna do that...

I looked up the Ford CP9Z-17528-A / CP9Z-17528-B blades on Amazon.ca, they are showing unavailable. Anyone know where else they would be available, or know of any other other good wipers to use?
For us Canadians, you hit the dealer at 30$ each or you buy from rockauto.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
For us Canadians, you hit the dealer at 30$ each or you buy from rockauto.com
Oh, the dealer would have a good Ford-brand ones rather than Motorcraft? I know it seems silly, but I was under the impression they just had the Motorcraft products.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Oh, the dealer would have a good Ford-brand ones rather than Motorcraft? I know it seems silly, but I was under the impression they just had the Motorcraft products.
They do stock only Motorcraft in Canada.

Go to the part department and says you want to order the part number I/you posted. Make sure when you go pick it up it says that on the package.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts